You can type here any text you want

I think I'm in way over my head

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I just got my Grand National 2 months ago. I wanted it to be an older car I could work on. I really don't know much about the mechanical part of cars too much yet. After I got it, I read alot about how temperamental these cars can be, and how they're more complex than alot of other old cars. I just put it into storage for the winter and I'm hoping to learn as much as I can about these cars during the next 6 months. I partly feel like it may have been a mistake buying this car, as it's above my level, but it's been my dream car for a while. If anyone knows any good resources about Turbo Buicks I would be greatful, I would love to fully be able to enjoy this car. I have the shop manual, but sadly, it's still a bit above my understanding. Thanks.

just research research research on this site there are a lot knowledgeable people and a wealth of info here.... Also kirban sells a few books that have vacaum and wiring diagrams plus locations and specs for everything.... Welcome to the dark side!!!!

check out Turbo Regal Web Site especially the resource section. its a bit old school but you need do start somewhere. if you figure it out you will be able to work on modern cars. fuel injection is the thing to learn, the rest of the car is standard. people who say they are temperamental dont understand the EFI (electronic fuel injection). Knowing what the computer (ECM) is doing is key cause everything is monitored. so gauges like boost gauge and scanmaster can help alot. keep the boost low and the octane high until you figure how to dial stuff in. predetonation (knock and ping) needs to be avoided always.
Andrew

Since it's in storage just invest the time in searching and reading here. There's some incredibly knowledgeable people here and a lot of great threads. If yuo have questions, just ask. More than likely you'll get help. We all have to start somewhere.

Peter

In all honesty they are probably also the most simple car to make haul SERIOUS ASS :) And like most above posters said....read read read...in time the knowledge will come.

In all honesty they are probably also the most simple car to make haul SERIOUS ASS :) And like most above posters said....read read read...in time the knowledge will come.

Im pretty sure they are one of the simplest to pull a motor in too :D.

ahhh the dark side bought mine four years ago have learned a ton still a ton to learn guys on forum knowledgable generous with info biggest key know before you spend or you will spend again most of all you will love it more than you hate it have lots of fun don't give up!!!!!

i love my gn ,but do yourself a favor and find another project car and run away from the gn as fast as you can.parts are going to get harder to find ,and after 25 years now is not the time to learn about gns. good luck.

The best advice is read read read. Spend 2 hours a night reading and learn to use the search function. After a few months it will click in. There are no majical recipes to instantly learn.

If you cant figure out this car with its simple electronics.. forget about anything newer. And get a car with a carburator.

i sort of agree with the other people about doing your research, but i don't agree with storing the car while you research GNs. there is too much information on this site, driving the car will help you focus on its issues and give you a chance to learn solving real problems on your car. if you read, read, read without your car in mind, you are learning to solve other people's problems on other people's cars - sometimes these are the same problems you will have, but how do you know if you don't drive your car when the weather allows?

one exception is the Vortex Buicks site the rmar posted. that is a must read, Buicks101

I guess project car isn't the right word to describe my car, it's complete and running well, I'd mostly just like to keep it that way. I should be able to understand the stuff, it's mostly just finding enough resources. Those resources listed look great, I'll spend quite a bit of time reading them. Unfortunately, I live in Canada, so my car pretty my has to be in storage for the winter.

run away

sorry to be so negitive,but be prepared to spend most of your life under the hood of that gn.unless you are a master gm mechanic you are in over your head.run away while you still can

sorry to be so negitive,but be prepared to spend most of your life under the hood of that gn.unless you are a master gm mechanic you are in over your head.run away while you still can

I will disagree with this.

The cars are not that complex, or temperamental, if you leave them close to stock and take a little time to maintain a few things.

They are a bit different than most "old cars", considering the turbo and associated plumbing.

There is a short list of stuff that you should verify and periodically (every spring) service. Otherwise the cars are reliable and a lot of fun. (like anything 20+ years old, it will 'need' things now and then)

How is the car configured/modified? Turbo, injectors, fuel pump, chip, engine stuff, and other info?

Bob

My car is all stock except for an air intake. It has a different chip as well, but I haven't been able to identify it online and was planning on changing it next year.

post the chip details, we can help figure it out.

With just an air filter, 'modified' catalyst, and a chip. These cars are a lot of fun.

The "spring cleaning" list is a good place to start, as well as looking at a better fuel pump.

Post some pics!

Bob

Obvious troll is obvious :D

These cars are simple for a car with electronics...Like Razor said the only way it gets more easy is with a carb. You said you have minimal work done..well thats all you need unless u get the virus the rest of us have where we try to lose 1 second every year. :P Intake, chip, injectors, fuel pump, alky and you can run reliable 12's all day long. Not many cars can say that with that list of parts.

I guess project car isn't the right word to describe my car, it's complete and running well, I'd mostly just like to keep it that way. I should be able to understand the stuff, it's mostly just finding enough resources. Those resources listed look great, I'll spend quite a bit of time reading them. Unfortunately, I live in Canada, so my car pretty my has to be in storage for the winter.
put a thread out and see if anybody lives in your are that can help you out. read the above choices thats what i di for a year before i purchased one

I've started reading the basics, and after reading the replies, I feel like it's not near as complicated as it seems. I'm going to love when midterms are over, I'll be able to spend more time reading about it then. My dad's friend has been a mechanic for 50 years and supposedly worked on alot of turbo Regals. I should probably start talking to him more as well. I'd rather not, but if it helps me learn more, it's worth it. When I go back home for the weekend, I'll check the chip, I forget what it said on it. Here are a few pics of my car as well.

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

1623lcm_20.jpg

Back