I think I’m screwed!!! (please help)

JonnyBoost

Turbo Junkie
Ok well I was driving the GN the other day and something went pretty wrong… Now whenever I try and accelerate it seems as if the turbo isn’t building up any pressure. All I hear is a whining noise from the engine compartment. The engine runs normally until like 3,000 rpm’s that’s when the noise starts and from that point on there is little to no acceleration. (Max speed is like 40mph) Anyone have any insight as to what I might have done?!?! Any help would be really appreciated. If it helps, the whining noise only happens when the car is in drive, not in neutral.

convertor, and/or tranny. would be a good place to start.

Thanks Scott…are there any other suggestions that you guys might have, has this happened to anyone else??

check the turbo to intercooler hose, and the hoses on each end of the up pipe. One of them probably ruptured or is loose.

HTH
David
87 GN

It does sound like a tranny problem.
Check the tv cable to make sure its not too loose or tight, check your tranny fluid to see if it looks/smells burnt.
It is possible that there is a chip problem, but not likely.
Does it go into all gears? How does it shift?

If it was a turbo hose, it wouldnt run well below 3000rpm, but it would let him run above 40mph, just not very well.
When you drive it, are you getting onto it or driving normally? Theres no way it goes above 40?

Hey silver it happens when driving normally, however right before it started acting up I had been driving it pretty hard(its more fun that way :D ) I could bring it above 40 but it doesn’t pick up speed quickly after that. It shifts totally normal but I’m cautious about driving it when its like this as I don’t want to harm it anymore than it already is..

Well of course its more fun to drive hard....;)

What does the car do as far as rpms when it gets to that 40mph wall?? What gear are you in? If you are in overdrive, then try manually selecting 3rd and see what it does. Try locking up the converter by using the paper clip technique,and check for fluctuations in rpm.

What I mean is, is it slipping, and the slipping of the tranny/converter willi increase rpms going up without acceleration. If you lock the converter, it takes it out of the equation.
If the tranny isnt slipping, and the converter isnt slipping, then the motor is trying to stop making power.
You cant really just come to a conclusion about whats wrong by not driving it. This isnt a common thing that someone can just say "hey I know exactly what it is.." and be done with it. Try some of the suggestions above, and come post your results and we can try and help from there.

thanks for the help man, i'm away at school right now so i wont get a chance to try out anyting till i pass through town again, but when i do i'll let you know what i find out. again thanks for all your help guys

maybe a locked up turbo-??

im not sure about the wining noise-

pull the hose leading to the shiney side of the turbo,and see if the wheel spins freely

does the car idle fine??

Intercooler hose? fuel pump? what have mods/repairs have you done to your car?

i vote for checking the intercooler hoses. dont just look and see if they are loose. grab and yank on them. mine didnt look loose, but once u grabbed they came right off.

I agree with Quick6... turbo on its way out. I had the same problem about 90K and a loud screaching from the motor. Normal driving around town was great as long as the motor was under vacuum and not in boost.

the car is basically 100% stock, previous to me owning the car it had been stored for approx. 2 years in a grage. i'm beginging to lean towards thinking the prob has to do with the turbo, like NC87GN said. it does run normally up until the boost should be building up...any ideas what leads to a problem like this?

take a flat blade screwdriver and remove the intake hose off the turbo inlet and move it to the side. Reach into the turbo inlet and spin the compressor impeller. It should spin freely. grab the compressor impeller with your fingers and pull it towards you and push it back. If you don't feel any play and the turbo doesn't smoke, and if you pull it out and twist it you don't feel rubbing, Call up a vendor and order a new fuel pump, your turbo is not the problem.

This should take all of two minutes after you've opened the hood and could save you $500.

hey thanks, UNGN i'm always a big fan of saving 500 bucks when i get the chance!! like i said i dont have the car here with me right now, but when i get back in town i'll try that out. thanks a ton for all your help guys, and puttin up with all my dumb quesions!

Any chance you have a scanmaster? When you hit this wall, will it build any boost? Can it build boost while stopped with the brakes on? The whining noise, is it loud and obviously under the hood?

If you have not replaced the stock fuel pump that is a must, like ungn said. It might be a collapsed sock on the pump restricting fuel. Can you hook up a fuel pressure gauge and verify? When my turbo decided to go it was quite noticeable as the car only went to a "hucklebuckle" mode when my aftermarket vacuum to boost gauge hit 0. HTH

BJM... currently i dont have any kind of scan tool. but the stock boost gauge doesn't show any boost build up when the noise starts up.... i'll have to try and see if it can build up boost when i'm on the brakes, and the noise is obviously from under the hood.

NC87GN... the fuel pump hasn't ever been replaced. how much do you think a new pump would run? also would that contribute to the noise i'm hearing??

I think you can get a good pump for less than $100 from most vendors...try a Walbro 307 or 340, they seem to be the most widely used aftermarket pumps.
I have never heard of a turbo doing that, but I suppose its possible. It most likely would have been the result of a clog in the oil feed line. If you arent getting any boost, also check your map (pressure) sender, its on the pass side fender with a vaccum line going to it and a connector going from it. make sure the hose is connected and isnt leaking.
If that and checking the turbo for being loose doesnt work, get yourself a fuel pressure gauge and check that. It may not be the pump, but a clogged fuel filter. If the pressure is low, change the filter 1st and see what that does.
If you are really stumped, and are in need of help, I might just be able to make a swing up that way next week or something with my fuel gauge, and my scanmaster and see if we cant find out whats wrong.