I want a bigger Turbo!!!

musclecar neal

Engine Builder
I have a brand new in the box PTE44 and my combo has changed since i bought it. I think I might want a bigger Turbo. Should I?

Current Combo

PTE44
Champion Irons
T&D Rollers 1.60
Champion Intake
comp 212/212
LS-1 mass Air
62/65 mm t body
power plate
Translator with extender
SMC dual Nozzle alky Kit
TRW Forged Pistons
Steel center mains
Poston Headers
PTE Front Mount
Art Carr 3200 stall non l/u
twin Bosch pumps

I want to run high boost on the street and thought maybe a bigger turbo might be better at doing it than a 44. How much boost can you guys run witha combo like this? How much power do you think it might make? All the parts are on the way and I want to get it up and running. I am calling PTE to see if the will exchange the turbo.

You could probably run a 62, 63, 54, or a ball bearing 66 with those parts and converter. :)

Lucky you. ;)

What injectors, I'm not seeing it?

With that combo and the desire to run high boost, I wouldn't go smaller than 50#.

Any 60 series would probably work with 3200 stall.

TE45a turbo but you will need at least a 3600 stall. That turbo makes alot of power.

Good Luck!!
Rob

63 turbo. Run between 25 & 30 psi to maximize the turbo.

Get 65# injectors & you'll have some shizzy for your hizzy.

My guess is around 500-550 flywheel hp.

63 suggestion also

just about perfect for your combo and very streetable

you could go up to 70 but its not hard to outdo 50's with a 70 turbo

Just got of the phone with patrick @PTE he says there is a new Turbo he's having great luck with. the PT 67 p trim.

Anyone heard of it or used it?

Thanks

Keep what you got.

Before you go out looking for a big turbo, what are your goals with this car? The te-44 with a pte .63 housing is good for low 11's with heads all day long. I have a very similar combo to your's and have went 11.8@116.5, very traction limited and on the breaks. Later that same night I launched the car off vacuum and went 12.1@118, still very traction limited ofcourse and with only 22 psi. Just something to think about.

Oh, and by the way, I noticed your location, do you know about the SFTBC, and our monthly meeting which is this Sat. ???

I would go with the PT-54 up to the T63E. Although if your gonna stick with the 50# injectors, you wont be able to run a whole lot of boost due to amount of fuel your free flowing motor is going to flow! I used to use the PT-54, it works perfect with a 3200 stall. Just remember you could slap that 44 on there and run almost as much boost as you dare! It would spool very fast and would make a hell of a street demon. With your mods and a 44, low 11's should come fairly easy! If you want 10's, id say go bigger. Fuel will be a limiting factor though unless you decide to upgrade.

Or buy My Brand New PTE 63 for a fraction of What it will Cost you for a new ONE!!;)

Matt:cool:

I have been thinking about what everyone has said. I have spoken to PTE and John Craig. Both seem to like 60 series Turbos for the application. PTE says the new PT 67 with the new Garret GT technology, I am kinda leaning this way as I have heard many good things about the new turbos. John Craig likes the 45a. I would like to hear from Jack Cotton and sent him an email but have not heard from him yet. I am thinking about going with 72# injectors and selling the new in the box 50's and the new PTE street chip. What injectors would you guys use and can they mod the extender chip for the 72's? Thanks for all the help guys I just dont want to mess this one up. :)

anything larger than a 63 will require 55s at least and a double pumper. a 67 is a big turbo and is gonna need at least 3500 stall to work properly not to mention a good set of heads and a cam to really take advantage of it. dont get sucked into the bigger is better syndrome especially if the rest of the combo is lacking. if you want to stick with the 50's(which are great to live with) id look into a 63 or Cottons 65. i think hes in Florida now but i may be wrong...call him at his shop. 1-413-789-0531.