You can type here any text you want

Ignition switch issue

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I like reading threads where people were given great advice which THEY asked for, then totally did the opposite anyways. Here are some simple procedures to follow for your column:
1. Ask for help
2. Follow advice from knowledgable people
3. Repair problem with above mentioned
4. Report back....
See, it's simple!!
Here is what you did:

1. Ask for advice
2. Argued advice given
3. Made a useless repair
4. Reported back you didn't fix shit
5. Asked for more advice

I apologize in advance for being an ass, but I can't help myself.

It's likely going to be an adjustment which was mentioned between the shifter, the column sleeve and the rod from the trans to column. Imagine you had a column shift car, the sleeve where the column shift would be attached, STILL TURNS ON A FLOOR SHIFT CAR. Grab that MF with both hands and turn it counter clockwise with some balls. Try key. If that doesn't work, get in the engine compartment and pull the cotter pin out of the rod going trough the column lock out and try it again. Something is out of alignment and you moving the wheels lock to lock probably moved something just a little. Get off the forum and apply yourself. Report back later, hopefully I'll be drunk by then

Ummm if thats geared towards me. I did everything mentioned to me and then some. Replacing an ignition switch for $15 aint no biggie. I waste that on useless food everyday. But if not for me, cool. Thanks again for the ibfo guys. Believe me i did what you said because before i posted my car wouldnt get out of park. So by turning the collar, it goes thru all the gears now

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

it actually is kind of a biggie. Shotgunning working parts, without testing, for new 'working' parts is a a great way to get sent down the wrong road. There are SO MANY aftermarket new parts for these cars that don't work out of the box.

Without testing, that means people tend to treat 'new' parts as '100% working' parts, and in this day and age, that's just not the case.

When it comes to GN's there's many MANY times I will take a used old ass proven part over a brand new in the box part.

...and the 'turning the collar test' was the first reply way back on page one. :)

Yea i did turn it but still had the same symptoms. Plus i got a big steel anti-thief plate on my collar. So turning it is not as easy as it sound. $15 is no biggie to me, especially when the old switch looked burnt. Either it helps or it dont, atleast i know its new. I do agree on some aftermarket parts not being as good as OEM. Trying to fix something thats been neglected for years isnt fun, but i/we do it. I really think its something going on with the actually ignition solenoid. I'll try that next, just incase the old owner miss her. Thanks all for the help guys

Could also be the lock cylinder /key and tumbler assembly. Had them bind up and not turn all the way before. I would verify the "actual problem". If you can pull the switch down farther and the starter cranks, it's not the solenoid. Definitely sounds like it's in the column. I would be looking in that direction. I personally would start ripping the column apart, but I could do it with my eyes closed. Wouldn't want to steer you in the wrong direction if that's not the problem.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yea i thinks it something in it also. A couple weeks ago the ignition lock got stuck fwd when i cranked it. Took alotta force to cut it off to lol. I got a buddy coming over next week to go inside it to see whats going on. I'll post back with the results. Thanks again

Since it looks like you have lock issues, linkage issues, and switch issues... I would pull the entire column, set it on a workbench next to some beers and go all the way through all three of those systems until everything looks as good as new.

Yes, it's extra effort to pull the column, but it really isn't that bad. Once the cover panel is off, it's like 5 bolts some wiring plugs. You'll be able to see what you're doing and a brand new lock is like $15 that comes with two brand new keys.

It's even be a good time to put on a fresh coat of paint if you wanted to.

Also while the three screws are out that hold the column to the floorboard, grind the points off. One of them barely kisses a VERY important wiring harness in the engine compartment. When that point pierces a wire it causes all kinds of problems that are a BITCH to track down.

Last edited:
Back