I'm baffled????

GNR85

I rebuilt the motor in my car, put it in, packed the oil pump with vaseline when I assembled the engine, primed it for 2 min (with gm prime tool and drill), got the cam sensor in correctly. The car started right up, sounds good, runs good, but my oil idiot light stays on, unless I give it a little rpms it goes off, but as soon as you let off the gas and gets to idle, it comes on again? No I haven't drove the car anywhere, and I let it run for like 3 min to see if maybe it just needed to catch the prime. Any help someone can give me would be appreciated. I think that the oil pump is not staying primed? I'd like to get this problem fixed, and take it for a drive, my black beauty is calling me.

i had about a two month battle with my oil pump and had similar problems try the rebuild kit for the pump, it solved my problems its just a few springs and a plate .

Did the drill ever get hard to turn? When it gets pressure, it will nearly pull the drill out of your hands. Do you have a new front cover and oil pump or reuse the old one? Oil pickup tube tight, not leaking? How much clearance between the pump and bottom plate?

I used my old front cover, rebuilt using a melling HV oil pump and yellow spring, checked all the clearances via the instructions. It was hard to turn with the vaseline packed in it initially then freed up a little, then grabbed hold of the drill again and was hard to turn. It gave my motor on my drill a work out, I ran the drill for like 2-3 minutes straight (smoke was actually coming out the vents when I stopped using it). New GM Oil pickup tube is tight and has a new seal on it, new dummy light sending unit and oil pressure sending unit . My oil pressure at startup is 0psi with dummy light on, only when I give it some rpms does it climb but very minimal (not even 5psi) but the dummy light goes off.I used all the proper torque on all bolts when reassembling via chiltons manual and the turbobuicks resources torq. specs. should I just pull the bottom plate off and repack with vaseline and try to prime it again?

Alternative way of priming the pump can be done by removing the turbo oil feed line and taping a funnel on it. Remove oil filter and throw it away, as it's probably packed full of jelly. Pour some oil in the filter before installing. Now dump a little oil in the funnel. It'll slowly flow down into the filter and pump. This will take repeated funnel fillings, but after about a quart of oil has flowed down in there you should be good to see if your drill gets bogged down.

A good anti-drainback filter might not work with this method. I used a Fram. I don't know if those are anti-drainers, but I felt resistence within a few seconds and it continued until I seen oil leaking into the rockers.

Forgot to add that you just disconnect the oil feed line at the turbo, not the entire line. You could disconnect the line at the brass pressure sensor block at thread in a fitting and attach a rubber hose if that's easier.