You can type here any text you want

I'm going to race a 03 cobra this week

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I put a couple car lengths on one 03 cobra in my Z06...I was surprised we were even all the way to 50 mph...but after that, you'd better be strong cuz a Z06 in 3rd gear is a tough mutha...

Re: i ran 2003 cobra

Originally posted by miike1
i ran a 2003 cobra 1/8 mile in my t type i was on slicks and all i have done is exhaust and 18 lb chip ,109 fuel,and fuel pump and k&n. it went like this on the street with a guy starting ,at the street races here in fort worth.i left with about 4 pounds of boost got out on him about 3 cars and held him pretty good till top of 2nd and he was really coming .thank goodness we were runnig a 1/8 mile,because he had about 5 to 8 mph on me but i got the win.i just bought my buick and billy duke here in fort worth has just started helping me. i come from the old school i also have a 63 plymouth with a 440 in it that runs 7.00 in the 1/8 straight motor. but i love the buick

Hey miike1, I know it would be a long haul for ya but this Friday night @ Redline (1/8 mile) the Buick's will be getting together for a little fun -n- grudge and some bracket racing your welcome to join us.

Redline is about 30 miles East of Dallas on I30

redline

would love to but i will be running my 63 wed at kenedale and again on sunday for the club challenge race i run for the cowtown mopars in these events .i want to do more with the buick guys but till after the race season im really booked. i will be going to the fastest street car world finals in memphis

Originally posted by fast86gn

I've already ate I mean raced one of these Stangs on the street, I shut it down at about 90mph

Be glad. Very glad. There are many places that perhaps are a little more rural where you can take it well into the triple digits with no traffic anywhere in sight. The Cobra seems to show it's strength from 85 and up. Had you stayed in it longer, good chance he would have caught you. I'm not sticking up for the Cobra, I raced one too. Yesterday I took one for a test drive and was fairly impressed on the low end, but I'm telling you that it comes alive at higher speeds. My WS6 is good on the top end and that Cobra walked me above 90.

This wednesday at Englishtown, saw a 03 Cobra running 11.7x @ 117 with pulley, exhuast, and drag radials..........

Boy, you really are uneducated.....READ: steel crank, manley H-beam rods and forged pistons......FACTORY

stroked347, the steel crank, manley H-beam rods, and forged pistons are great from the factory, but supercharges put a lot more stress on motors than turbos do.... if you don't believe me ask Kenny Duttweiler as well as Bob Rieger!!!:) FYI, there are turbo buicks in the 9's with the stock bottom end (stock cast crank, pistons, and rods) and the only reason Ford didn't go cheap is because their engineers know that a supercharged motor with a cast crank, pistons, and rods wouldn't last very long even with the lower 8.5:1 compression ratio where as turbo motors like our little 3.8 V6s have lasted very long with the stock sh!tty cast short block (there are guys on this forum that have over 150-200K miles with the stock factory bottom end and most of them are in the 12's and 11's):D

No Kidding....they put the heavy duty stuff to take the abuse from the blower....my point exactly. And i know blowers put more stress on the motor thanturbos, and NOS puts more stress on the motor than a supercharger. We have stock shortblocks that have seen high 9's...do they live long, no, do the high 9's 3.8 live long? No. So you mean to tell me that(cobra) block cant go 9s? Or go above 117mph? :p

Dude, im not comparing superchargers to turbochargers.....we lost a Pro 5.0 racer in a car wreck...Steve Grebeck....6.5 @210. His car had a single turbo.

I never said that the '03 Cobra can't go 9's (I'm sure it will) or faster than 117mph in the 1/4 (they already have), but my point is only time will tell how long the motor will live in the 9's and only time will tell if these motors will last longer than 150-200K miles while running 12's and 11's like TRs.... BTW, I've know about Steve Grebeck (RIP) and his Pro 5.0 single turbo Stang that Harry @ PTE owned for some time now and how it ran mid 6's @210+mph, but Chuck Smauel has gone 6.49 @220mph with his 400ci Pro 5.0 PT106 single turbo Stang (it is currently the fastest doorslammer in the country) and Lawrence Conley has been 6.55 @212mph with his twin turbo SBC Tweaked II Camaro.... I don't think Samuel will have the fastest doorslammer title for very long cause Duttweiler built a 522ci twin turbo BBC that has made 2600+hp and it's only a matter of time before he has Bob Rieger's doorslammer in the 5's!!!:eek:

I think we'll see motors go boom when guys try to run high boost with no octane. Not everyone who buys a new cobra knows what they are doing. For some it will be their first supercharged car. People are bound to break them. It's all part of the learning process.

For many recent incarnations of the Cobra Mustang, forged parts have been present.

In fact, the N/A '96 Cobra engine is a forged internal engine... hand built no-less. There was an article in HotRod a few months ago of a Fox-body Stang with a N/A DOHC Cobra mill between the fenders... with nothing more than the "torque flaps" removed, an upgraded fuel system, a Paxton blower, and DFI. The car was going 9.9s and quicker on an unopened factory engine (that includes the cams).

Like UNGN said: "The world is full of morons, and nothing is bullet proof." (paraphrased)
But, in the right state of tune... anything can be made to happen.

In fact, the N/A '96 Cobra engine is a forged internal engine... hand built no-less.

Not really true. Up till the 03, the crank was forged, but the pistons were hyperpathetic and the rods were powder-coated. The motors are *assembled* by hand...not sure if that qualifies as 'hand built' or not. The 03 Cobra has forged pistons and Manley rods, to go along with the iron block.

There is no way in hell anybody at all can say how long these motors will hold up, and how much abuse they can take before breaking. Some will try and say this and that, but nobody knows, or will know for quite some time. Comparing their reliability to a car that has been on the road for 15-16 years is kind of silly, IMHO.

I agree that there certainly will be a learning curve, and there certainly will be blown motors.

Back