im haven a hard time..please help if you can! 99 buick regal gs

supersickbuick

hi my name is mike i just bought this 99 buick regal gs and iv been fixing it up b/c its in great shape. Now iv been haven a problem with the car just shutting off while going down the road now i can can keep it running if im on the gas but as soon as i let off it dies. when i start the car back up i have to be on the throttle for it to run.now if it starts doing it while im driving and i put it to the floor she drops down and runs like nothing is wrong. it only does all this stuff when it gets to running temp. iv replaced the fuel pump,crank sensor and MAP sensor...i need some ways to narrow it down b/c i know it could be a few more things and dont really wanna replace all these parts...before i bought the car it sat for a year and before it was parked it never did this? and another thing the display for boost and mileage and climate control all worked before it was parked? Maybe its connected? i was thinking a bad ground or somthing but im not sure...so if someone has had this happen or know what i need to look at please let me know. this is my first thread iv ever posted i figured id give it a shot thanks.Mike

I dont know if the ballast resistor can do this. usually it starts runs and dies when this goes bad. I know they had an updated kit. from the factory its mounted on the right side frame rail. The connector is right by the washer fluid bottle I believe. My buddies grand prix was there. the kit relocates it to the firewall. Did you try disconnecting the maf sensor.That can cause a lot of problems. Any codes stored? How did you set crank sensor?

no check engine light and yes i just put a brand new maf sensor on it and i dont know how i could've set the crank sensor wrong it does not have any adjustment? it was two bolts slap her on and go...thats what i though anyway could u tell me more about that please? and thanks for replying so fast!

No if its the resistor no lights will come on. If you go to the dealership to buy one, they don't sell them at auto parts chains, take a picture of the guys face so I can see it. Most have no idea what it is.

Ballast resistor. The parts store will give you a blower motor resistor .Get it from the dealer
Gmpartsdirect .com has it for $67.00. I dont know if this would be your problem because every time I had a ballast go bad the car did not run.It would start run and die. I would install a jumper and the car ran fine so I would install updated resistor. Make sure you have no vacuum leaks.

the ballast resistor you are talking about is likely the fuel pump resistor issue that many people have. You can try running the fuel pump on high all the time by modifying the fuel pump relay. You bend one of the tabs outward and it puts the pump on high when the key is on instead of on a high/low system. This bypasses the resistor until you get it fixed or whatever.

It is quick to try it and see if that is the fix.

Check the ground splice in the trunk. I dont know if the Regal has it in the same place as the lasabre but in the trunk on the right side there is a ground splice.It has 5 or 6 ground wires going into it and then its bolted to the body. It a long shot but check and see if there is one.Its bolted to body real close to trunk floor. I had a two customers one with a bowling ball rolling around and one with a bottle of Gatorade rolling around. You see where this going. Well the bowling ball had smashed the ground splice in one car and the Gatorade had smashed it in the other car.One on those grounds in both cars was for the fuel pump. Just check and see it that could be the problem . I would get a scanner on this car before you spend anymore money on it. There might be a harness that got chewed up by a mouse somewhere that is causing all this havoc . Where are you located? If your around Chicago I will scan it for you.

ok im going to check it out right now ill take them off and sand it and put it back on. And i live in northern michigan but thanks for the offer i appreciate all your help!

ok so i looked and all i have is a little harness with the grounds in it i unpluged it and it looks like new...now i did notice a miss fire when i was back there(cant tell if your by the motor) whats the best way to find out what cylinder is miss firing? when its cold it dont do it but as i warms up for about 3 mins it starts to miss fire? i think im finally on to something...

now the guy i got the car from said he put new plugs and wires on it last year...but i was looking at it and it looks like a pain in the ass to change the plug by the o2 so i think im changing them just so i know it was done.

ok so i looked and all i have is a little harness with the grounds in it i unpluged it and it looks like new...now i did notice a miss fire when i was back there(cant tell if your by the motor) whats the best way to find out what cylinder is miss firing? when its cold it dont do it but as i warms up for about 3 mins it starts to miss fire? i think im finally on to something...
A good scanner will show misfire counter. I would get car scanned before doing any more repairs. Pull the plugs and make sure you install gm/denso plugs. They are specific to the supercharged cars.If you pull out Bosch platinum plugs That will be part of your problem. My friend went through the plug dilemma and ended up going back the dealer plugs. I cant remember if it was denso or ngk that made plugs for these cars for Gm. Ill check back later Off to work I go

I would put gm plugs in it. The autolites wont make it die out or cause it to do what you seeing with your car.

so i got the plugs in and had the car scanned what came up was misfire on cylinder #3 so im ganna try starting with the coil pack and hopefully thats what is causing all this

Does this car have mods especially smaller pulley on stock exhaust manifolds or does it appear to have been previously modded then demodded before sold?

Reason I ask is #3 is the front middle cylinder and is by far the Most likely cylinder to chip a piston and keep smashing electrodes closed with the ring land chunks as they break free... I have sold many used piston/rod combos over the years to replace #3's

As for plugs if its modded use copper core colder heat range plugs , auto lite or ngk not gm plugs

the car is all stock and iv known the guy that sold it to me for a long time and his aunt bought it new from the lot.