You can type here any text you want

Impala SS...toast.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Snorman

Boosted.
Coming back from the local scene this morning at about 2:00am and an LT1 Impala SS pulled out from a gas station on Hooper.
He came up behind me pretty hard and pulled around me in the left lane.
We end up getting the light at Indian Hill Road. I see the cross light go to yellow, hit the convertor lockup switch, and foot brake it to 1 psi (I need tires). Light goes green and I he shows his @ss by chirping the tires on his launch. I floor it just as I let off the brake and leave cleanly.
By the top of 1st, I put him at my quarter panel. The 'ole TR scratches a nice 2nd and I start pulling. Before hitting 3rd gear I've stretched the lead to ~2-3 cars and pulling. I let out and tapped the brakes to let him know he just got owned.
Then he wants to go from a roll by the Ocean County College jughandle. From a ~35mph roll I punch it an immediately put a 1/2 car on him and start pulling.
After that, he was content to just drive a few cars behind me to avoid antagonizing me. :D
S.

Nice kill! Would you care to divulge your secrets to LT1-killing success?

No secrets. The car has a few minor things...hotwired 340 FP, Postons base lid, billet inlet bell, etc.
Stock vs. stock, an LT1 Impala SS is no match for a TR.
S.

My friends stock '95 SS (8000 miles) runs 9.9s in the eighth, so low 15s in the quarter. With a chip he programmed, it ran 9.7. Not bad for a 4200 lb car. I have not got a chance to ride in it yet, but they are a nice car. He ran me once in my Turbo T at the track. Once :D My SS friend describes my car as "it shouldn't run that fast" :cool:. Nice kill, sounds like fun.

Neither are all TR's. ;)

Funny story...
About 2 years ago, I was running the 'Stang at Cecil County Raceway on a Saturday morning. There were the fewest cars I've ever seen at Cecil that day. I was running around the times in my sig at the time (low-12's, 117-119mph on 17" DR's). There was an Impala club having a track outing that day. All the SS's were lined up along the fence like pretty maids in a row. I unpacked my tools and track stuff from the car, and was watching the Impala guys eyeball me, sizing up the slow looking, slow sounding '95 GT pitted (maybe appropriately enough) near the port-a-john. The GT has (actually..."had") a stock cam and stock catback, so it basically sounded like a stock car until it started chatting away at full boost. Anyway, I threw a bag of ice on the blower, closed the hood and went and sat in the bleachers for a 1/2 hour or so. I watched some of the Impala's make some passes. They were in the high-14's/low-15's, pretty decent for such a heavy car.
After awhile, I decided to start running the car. The Impala guys watched me walk over to my car, and I think they were discussing who would get to beat me first. I strapped on my helmet (that should have been a clue) and headed to the staging lanes. Sure enough, one of them jumped in his car and came out right behind me. I jumped into the right lane and heated up the DR's and pulled to the line, the Impala waiting patiently. The tree drops and I get a horrid reaction time and short time. No matter, though, I ran 12.4@117mph to the Impala's 15.3@96mph. Margin of victory...2.6 seconds. (I'm actually glancing at the time slips as I type).
I wheeled the car back into the pits, the Impala guys staring at me, slackjawed. About 45 minutes later, I decide to make another pass. They send a "heavy hitter" up to the plate. This Impala sounds much healthier than the first, and I think for a second that this might be a nitrous or blower car. Hmmm...
We stage, I cut another horrid reaction time, giving him a nearly .3 advantage. It wasn't nearly enough. I ran a 12.04@118.4mph to his 14.34@95.8mph. I went by him at the 330's like he was standing still. Margin of victory...1.9 seconds.
I ended up running one or two more Impala SS's that day. Each race with roughly the same result. Eventually, 2 or 3 of them came over to compliment me on the car and ask how the heck I was beating them as badly as I was. ;) They were real nice guys who were enthusiasts just like the rest of us. :D
S.

Back