You can type here any text you want

Impossable to take off ALTERNATOR. Part 2 "The revenge"

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ncmalko1

#1 Eagles fan
So I get the bolt off and now the car wont start. I was putting on a chrome alt. shield. I noticed on the back of the alternator there is a tiny wire that has a harness that plugs into the backside of the ALt. It seems to be spliced (Did I do that)?

I charged the battery overnight and that doesn't work. The hood light only comes on when I slam the door shut??? HELP SOMEONE. IF I START TO CRY NASTY WENDY IS GOING TO MAKE ME SELL MY CAR. HELP!

Can you snap a digital pic and post it on here?
The only thing I can think of a spliced wire on the alternator, would be if the car might have had a voltage booster on it at one time and now it does not.
A pic would really help us determine what it is. What color is the wire and where in the harness is it?

Patrick

I emailed you a pic. Does anyone know how to post a pic from your desktop. MAN I AM NEEDY

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

This is a free image hosting site that you can use to upload pics from your PC to your free album. Then you simply copy and past the link that they provide to the pic into your post/thread, by using the
code after the link.

Or, in the manage attachments at the bottom of the screen under Additional Options, click on where it says Attach Files Manage Attachment button. Then the TB.com server will load an image directly from your PC to your post. Only problem here is, it limits you on image sizes. This is why it is better to use the free image hosting site like photobucket or webview.
HTH

Patrick

Doh!!!

Here is your pic with red arrows and red circles to show what happened.

:o

splice.jpg

Looks like someone might have had a volt booster spliced in at some point. Or else it got cut when you took the bolt out.
You need to solder it back to the brown wire that it broke off of just below and sticking out of the harness below the alt. See red circles and red arrow in pics. Solder it and seal it with heat shrink tubing is the correct way to do it. But in a pinch, you can use solderless connectors, but I do not recommend it on this very critical wire.
Gotta fix that, or no juicy juice to the battery. That is the signal wire that tells the alternator when to kick on and start charging the battery. It has a technical term, but it slips me now.

HTH

Patrick

Not another alternator thread...

That is the signal wire that tells the alternator when to kick on and start charging the battery. It has a technical term, but it slips me now.

HTH

Patrick

It's called the Lamp lead, goes to the L position in the plug. For some further reading:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/223941-help-w-alternator-basics.html
and
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/223864-low-voltage-quad-air-booster.html

LOL. Make you sell the car. I'd never do that.:tongue:
Reconnect the wire as instructed.

I live in Phoenix. That means when times are tough all you do is yell, "NICK MICALE HELP" and then everything gets better!:smile:

Back