You can type here any text you want

in need of street power

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

shareem

i am a new owner of a 86gn. i know nothing when it comes to buick power but, what i do know is i am trying too build a little power. somewhere in the 450-550 range. i am looking for any suggestions, proven facts etc.....and is this possible with a stock bottom end?i am not trying to drag race i just want the power to be there when needed

1. Have you done the "spring cleaning" yet? if not or don't know what it is, go to Turbo Regal Web Site and read up on it.

2. Is the engine stock or does it have any mods done to it?

3. Do you have any kind of scan tool to monitor knock?

4. What kind of fuel are you planning on running?

After you post some more specifics and perform your spring cleaning (if not already) I am sure lots of people will chime in on combos and what to bolt on.

I will give you my .02 while I am here.......

First off is it 450-5550hp at the flywheel or tire you want...big difference?

I have noticed lately that most people care more about what the car puts down at a Dyno then how it actually performs. This I have gathered at a lot of street racing scenes. I was just at one last Thursday and it seemed like most people are concerned with "how much horse power" That was the question the I was asked by people that wanted to run. I was not there in my GN but I was there in my Vette and was asked by several guys that wanted to run. One guy was pretty funny...he had a Turbo Camero that supposedly put down 850hp and asked me if I wanted to run from a dig to 120. I thought about it and almost said yes.......no my Vette does not make that kinda of power but it does very well. It has a very healthy small block and it is extremely light and hooks up well with 325/50/15 Mickey T's. He was on regular small radials stock rear and a six speed. If we had run I am pretty sure I would have spanked him due mainly cause my car runs very good and hooks....a car like his with all that power a six speed and radials would do nothing but spin all the way through 1st 2nd 3rd.....by the time he caught traction I would have been gone.

The point to all this is that is is not always a hp game but rather how well the car works with what it has...I have scene lots of cars with decent hp run very good times at the track. If you are shooting for a HP number that is cool too but if the car can not put it down then it is point less

All this is just my opinion :cool:

You can look at my sig and see the mods....I built this combo the first time and broke the bottom before I studded it and added a girdle...the dyno was around 550ish at the flywheel with 19psi.

I would say 500hp at the flywheel is all I would go with a stock bottom end.

Good luck!:smile:

x10. Make sure that the car runs well before modding. While it's not glamorous the basics are the foundation by which you will build the car. If you are new to TR's and already looking for more power I'd be inclined to think that your car is not running properly as a good running stock TR should keep a TR newbie quite satisfied (powerwise) for at least a little while.

That being said, if you take some time and do a search on this very topic, you will find several excellent write-ups and recommendations.

BTW, welcome to the Darkside...:cool: Have fun.

x10. Make sure that the car runs well before modding. While it's not glamorous the basics are the foundation by which you will build the car. If you are new to TR's and already looking for more power I'd be inclined to think that your car is not running properly as a good running stock TR should keep a TR newbie quite satisfied (powerwise) for at least a little while.

That being said, if you take some time and do a search on this very topic, you will find several excellent write-ups and recommendations.

BTW, welcome to the Darkside...:cool: Have fun.

I don't agree with u on this one. If he already has a vette that he thinks could of strapped a Camaro with a turbo he's probably used to some power. I know when I first got my car (all stock) it was a pig. Even after my first set of mods I still left it in the garage due to me being unsatisfied. I was so frustrated I went from bolt ons to a full build.:wink:

the gn has an after market turbo(turbonetics)on the outlet it says63 a/r. i do not know where to find the reading on the inlet. it has a huge front mount intercooler, injectors .i do not know the size of the injectors but numerous people told me they are aftermarkets.it has a scan tool,huge downpipe and magnalow full exhaust. the car runs very well. as for suspension ive installed edlebrock upper and lower controll arms, new front end bushings, eibach lowering springs. the old springs had airbags in them so i put them in the new springs but they are not connected.

What brand is your scan tool?
Look at the injectors real close and post all the numbers.
Take pics and post them or upload a vid to youtube or streetfire.
The airbags need a line to them to add and hold air to be effective.

i am a new owner of a 86gn. i know nothing when it comes to buick power but, what i do know is i am trying too build a little power. somewhere in the 450-550 range. i am looking for any suggestions, proven facts etc.....and is this possible with a stock bottom end?i am not trying to drag race i just want the power to be there when needed

bolt on a 60 series or bigger alsong with 60 pound injectors and turn up the boost and with a goos tune you are there. the bottom end will hold if you keep the detonation to zero.

it has a scan master, i do not know the turbo size or injectors. aftermaket front mount , 4 core alumn rad

500-550 at the tire.....you are talking 600-630hp at the flywheel......zero knock or not on a stock bottom end Good luck with that:eek:

500-550 at the tire.....you are talking 600-630hp at the flywheel......zero knock or not on a stock bottom end Good luck with that:eek:

he doesnt need luck, he needs a proper tune and balls (courage) to push it...:biggrin: ive seen it done, and im sure many of us have been witness to this and have read about stock botton ends in the 10s and even 9s..:wink: .... make sure your fuel system is up to par , if it is, get you a good chip, put some good octane on the car, raise the boost, and most importantly, tune... i also reccomend you make sure the car is in proper working order, no mis-fires, ech before trying to play with it..... have fun..:biggrin:

Back