Indy stage intake

dsc01158-jpg.244117

http://turbobuick.com/threads/indy-block.422029/
that is really sexy!!!:)

Check it out and yes it is a later intake . I also got a cam blank and a Ecm but the intake is going to need some spacers to make it work but besides that I think it will not be that bad to adapt to my set up . I still need some stage heads but I can find those everywhere
869AC84A-BFB3-4432-9767-D2C37313C5F2.jpg
IMG_6419.JPG
IMG_6417.JPG

The throttle linkage alone looks like a nightmare to me. I remember back when I was doing VW stuff and we played hell just keeping the 2 carbs synced up and the linkage adjusted. :rolleyes:

Neal

what controller would you run? with the throttles down by the ports like that you will have no manifold vacuum to speak of for running speed density at part throttle.

So you could run with a MAF, or use a blended Alpha-N / Speed-Density system of some flavor or other.

Would be a fun project though.

Bob

Bob I am open for help as this is as much as a puzzle is both . I have already reached out to nick to see about intake manifold flanges/spacer s . I am going to need about 3/4-1" spacer on each side to make up the space up do to the Deck height difference.

what controller would you run? with the throttles down by the ports like that you will have no manifold vacuum to speak of for running speed density at part throttle.

So you could run with a MAF, or use a blended Alpha-N / Speed-Density system of some flavor or other.

Would be a fun project though.

Bob

I've set up a couple IR intakes w/ efi. We use a vac block plumbed to each runner, then to a MAP sensor.
John Kaase welds a plenum under the intake w/ holes in each runner, and taps the plenum for MAP.
As Neal stated, syncing all runners is a biatch.
The other item is the response is TOUCHY!! Compare the area of all the ports, vs 1 t/b. Open the blades just a "RCH", and it's "game on"!

I've set up a couple IR intakes w/ efi. We use a vac block plumbed to each runner, then to a MAP sensor.
John Kaase welds a plenum under the intake w/ holes in each runner, and taps the plenum for MAP.
As Neal stated, syncing all runners is a biatch.
The other item is the response is TOUCHY!! Compare the area of all the ports, vs 1 t/b. Open the blades just a "RCH", and it's "game on"!

I would need a EGT on each cylinder to dial them in . I also have a Ecm from a Indy car . I will be going back to get another nice one from him . He gave me this beat up one just to play around with . He has All shorts sensors, EGTs ,linear movement sensor Ect
E39EB8B9-D1B4-424D-9365-E8BDFB1D6F86.jpg

It would be amazing to have this in a GN, hearing a wot pull at 10k rpm.

I'd do it if I could. How long would the bearing last in this type of engine.

I would need a EGT on each cylinder to dial them in . I also have a Ecm from a Indy car . I will be going back to get another nice one from him . He gave me this beat up one just to play around with . He has All shorts sensors, EGTs ,linear movement sensor Ect
View attachment 295373
Wow that looks like a home made / soldered circuit board. Neat

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

View attachment 295373
Once you have used an EGT probe on every cylinder to monitor and tune an expensive engine........................
You wouldn't do it any other way.

Check it out and yes it is a later intake . I also got a cam blank and a Ecm but the intake is going to need some spacers to make it work but besides that I think it will not be that bad to adapt to my set up . I still need some stage heads but I can find those everywhere View attachment 295321View attachment 295322View attachment 295323
It definitely has the cool factor going for it. It looks like you could completely remove the IR throttle linkage and bolt the runners back to the base and put a conventional TB on it with minimal work and still be able to use stock ecm.

I wonder if the inlet will interfere with the cam sensor? And coolant will need to flow from the heads to radiator somehow. Then the T.V. cable if you run a 2004r. I think it would be super cool to see it under the hood of a GN but I would not want to spent the hours needed to make it work. Please keep up the pics as you get updates.

The heads can be directly plumbed. A little planning has to go into effect because of the fitting placement and additional lines. The Edelbrock tunnel ram didn't have thermostat provisions and the heads had to be done that way, unless you made a crossover pipe. I am curious about the air velocity and torque issue that may be presented with use. Those intakes were used on extreme rpm motors with 2.90 to 3.00 stroke cranks.

I am curious about the air velocity and torque issue that may be presented with use. Those intakes were used on extreme rpm motors with 2.90 to 3.00 stroke cranks.[/QUOTE]

That makes both of us lol . I believe that is why some ppl have suggested that I remove the ITB and go with a large single throttle body . When I actually get around to getting this Intake installed I want to try and run the ITB if I can if not it isn't hard to convert to a large single . I can even play with the runners to see if it yeilds any bottom end gains with a shorter runner Ect. I'm currently working on swapping my pistons due to the used one I bought being .125 in the hole @ TDC. I have been talking with earl about his custom set of piston and can't wait to see the final results :)

Attachments

• IMG_6074.JPG
    IMG_6074.JPG
    951.3 KB · Views: 200
For what it's worth my V6 road race engine (similar to Indy Lights) came with one of those ECUs. First thing I did when I saw all those soldered connections and transistors was to throw it away and get an Electromotive TecGT. Never regretted it. Very easy to tune and to make changes - just change the parameters and hit send on your laptop.

Even with wild race cam and 13/1 compression it drives smoothly at low RPM - now that's at race track paddock conditions but I bet with a 'road' cam and lower compression the TecGT could handle it - there's lots of stuff I don't use for smooth idle, off idle gentle driving etc etc.

There was a question above on manifold pressure for the ECU - pic below shows my "log" with feeds from each intake and offtake (on top) which takes hose to the sensor.

DSC00599.JPG