Inertia Switch to Cut Off Fuel Pump??

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
Where can I find a switch to turn off fuel pump in event of a rear end collision? I looked at Painless Wiring and Caspers but didn't find one.
Conrad Carter

try going to the local ford lincoln mercury dealer and ask for the switch.

What year/model? My local Ford parts can only function with this info.
Conrad

It is the same part for most Ford applications. Ask for one from the 2000+ Taurus.

I used to work for the company that made them, at the time the Ford part number was 1L2T 9341 AC. Manufact. part number 22-400-02.

I haven't worked there in a while so I don't know if the part number changed - your dealer's parts dept should be able to help.

Ford Inertia Switch

Inertia switch-2000 Taurus
Ford part# XW4Z-9341-AA List price 57.26
Should be a lot less at a junkyard; just about any Ford would be a good donor
HTH.
Mike

Inertia Switch

Hi Mr. Fitz. its been a while. Hope all is well.

I am the engineer for the assembly line that makes these switches.

I want to caution anyone on blindly installing one of these switches in any vehicle other than the one it is intended for. The R & D that went into designing this switch would consume 100s of gigabytes on your PC.

In short, each switch is designed to actuate when it undergoes a specific deceleration rate measured in Gs for a specific time duration measured in milliseconds.

You will not be able to know what the rates needed will be where ever you decide to mount the switch. The only way to know this is thru actual crash testing.

GNs typically give a rough ride. If you drive like a madman or on bad roads, you may end up with a switch that trips when you hit a pothole or just normal bumps.

There are several versions available that trip at varying levels.

Proceed at your own risk, I am not suggesting you do this.

If you still want to though, wire it into the fuel pump circuit and mount it near the rear of the vehicle. It needs to be mounted within the cabin or trunk not exposed to the weather. It should not be attached to a flimsy section subject to vibration or flexing. Ford PN 5L1T-9341-AA might work.

Good luck.

Bob

Ooops,

Should have read the question more closely - as Bob said - I would not use the switch outside of its intended application - I thought that you were looking for a part for a ford vehicle.

Good luck,

-Mark

Inertia Switch

Oooops.
Thanks for the specific data,GN Bob.
I did'nt know they had specific applications.
Please forget my suggestion from the junkyard.
Mike

Yea and forget about a T-brake... I suppose that would be protection from an internal collision :eek: