installed a known good transmission

icecold1132

i bought a 200 r4 off a friend its been sitting awhile since 2005 seen a little water from sitting outside, it shifts 1-2-3-4 but it shifts really early like its almost instantly into 4th gear around 30 mph its almost as the tv cable isnt doing its job, but its set and any setting isnt doing anything with the shift points. can someone help me out and give me advise?

well i looked into what bfr is and if its the valve body, looking at the transmissions valve body the old valve body has 4 wires and the electric plug didn't fit so i switched the plug from my old transmission the new transmission has 2 wires going to that plug, could that be affecting something? leaving it plugged into the wiring of the car didn't change anything to leaving it unplugged:confused:

BRF? im unsure what that is or means

Transmissions have code letters on them denoting what application they are used for. Transmissions are programmed to work with specific gear ratios in the rear ends. If you install a transmission that was intended to work with 2:56 gears and you put it in a vehicle with 3:73 gears it will shift early. The code letters are on a tag riveted to the case near the output shaft on the right side of the trans (passenger side). Did you put this trans in a Buick turbo car? What did the transmission come out of?

the guy said its a grand national case but it was retrofited to a chevelle he doesnt remember the gear ratio its been awhile but even if you play with the tv cable it does nothing to the shift points

trans

you will burn it up for sure with the tv cable unhooked.what does it do when you shift it manually?does it down shift at all

Not normally but it could be it was never connected properly to begin with.

it happened to me once.. the arm that the tv cable is connected to jumped above the tv piston and left the tv piston stuck out.. i changed the arm with one from another 200-4 i had and problem fixed.. why the trans builder didn't catch this on the bench before he gave it to me i'll never know(this was also the last time i dealt with a local trans. builder. he told me i should switch to a 700r4 or a 4 speed to hold up in my car) but because of this any time i've adjusted a tv cable the first or if i've ad the pan off.. i check the adjustment/setting with the pan off.

You could have a BR vb with a non BR gov. You may want to pull the pan & post a pic of the gov.

You could have a BR vb with a non BR gov. You may want to pull the pan & post a pic of the gov.

I don't think he has a BR valvebody. He only moved the wiring from the old trans as mentioned in a above post. I think he is using the wrong trans for this application plus he mentioned it "has seen a little water" from sitting outside for a while. It could also have problems with the pump rings rusting in place keeping the pump slide from moving causing the pressure to stay constant no matter how much the T.V. plunger is depressed. IMHO he needs to find out what valvebody and governor is in the trans. He also needs to take a pressure reading to see where it's at at min. TV and max TV.

its could possibly be something is off in the transmission, the speedo is way off even with the old gear on it

its could possibly be something is off in the transmission, the speedo is way off even with the old gear on it

The speed is off because the gear on the governor is wrong. The transmission you are using is not for a turbo car. Did you ever get the code letters off of the trans?