Installed a screenless 3 1/2 maf and....

Dhos1

Self-tuning wanna-be
Seemed to get a little better drivability. The only thing i really notice is the AF ratio on the PLX gauge fluctuates more. It seems to go in between 10.2 to 14.6 but at idle stabilizes around 11.0-12ish. Is there an optimum range I should be shooring for. Im thinking the fluctuation is due to no screens possibly... I havent got the SM readings yet, but will today. I kinda wanted to post this because it seems people have issues without screens and I was wondering why that is.

Do you have one of those; how does it attach in there? It looks as if it JB welds in possibly.

I have an old MAF same size with a screen...is it removeable...anyone ever do it?

not sure if your running a TT chip or not but i believe in the instructions it recommends at least one screen in the maf. as for your question, the stock maf has two screens and they where removable, a lot of people removed one or both early on to gain a few ponies, but now there are better ways to make hp gains and is best to leave in there and let them do what they are intended for if running a stock setup.

The stock MAF has a flat sensor screen that lays flat with the airflow. Any tumbling around or turbulent will cause that POS's readings to got all over the place.

The LT1/LS1 MAFs use 3 vertical sensors that are round and look like resistors and can put up with oddball airflow much better than the stockers. With my personal testing I've never seen a problem running without screens on those.

Look inside your MAF and see if the sensors are covered with crud stuck to oil/grime. If they are coated in oil from over-oiling a K&N or from the emissions stuff from the original application, then your sensor is compromised and will read richer than it should.

The stock MAF has a flat sensor screen that lays flat with the airflow. Any tumbling around or turbulent will cause that POS's readings to got all over the place.

The LT1/LS1 MAFs use 3 vertical sensors that are round and look like resistors and can put up with oddball airflow much better than the stockers. With my personal testing I've never seen a problem running without screens on those.

Look inside your MAF and see if the sensors are covered with crud stuck to oil/grime. If they are coated in oil from over-oiling a K&N or from the emissions stuff from the original application, then your sensor is compromised and will read richer than it should.
Car runs just fine. I just get a fluctuation in my PLX A/F ratio gauge and was wondering if that could be the issue. As far as I could tell, Eric's chips call for 1 screen on the stocker. It does not matter on the bigger ones.

You should keep the screen. The signal can be erratic without it. On the stock MAF, keep at least one screen. With the newer MAF's (LT1, LS1, etc), if it had a screen from the factory, keep it in there, or it may not read the airflow like we expect.

Going screenless works "ok" on some cars, but usually its asking for trouble.