You can type here any text you want

Installed "the battleship" today.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Project TNX

Uhh, what's that?

uhwhatsthat.jpg

Jammin the iTunes, a shadetree mechanics best friend (you don't want to know how many times I listened to Fergies "Big Girls Don't Cry.")

Ibejammin.jpg

Industrial looking engine? Hell yeah :cool:

thebattleship4front.jpg

Do I like silver, take a wild guess.

thebattleship3driver.jpg

Getting there

thebattleship2pass.jpg

I'm digging the monochromatic silver scheme

thebattleship1.jpg

It was a long day, I had no help which had me nervous, but most of it went smoothly. When I went to install the engine and tranny the tranny mount snapped right off in my hand, so that bit. I have to order one tomorrow, it's holding up the progress BIGTIME. The power steering pulley was a pain to reinstall. I found out my alternator pulley bolt is shot, so I need to address that. I had do redo the turbo shield holder twice (the shield is just bolted loosely on so I could gawk and snap a few pics) I put it on the wrong side of the exhaust housing the first time. The Gbodyparts.com downpipe bolted right up, plenty of space thus far, with most of the front clip off it should have plenty of space. :D

As for dropping the engine and tranny in, I took it slow and steady, and I lucked out, it was positioned perfectly the first time I tried it. I used a jack to keep the rear of the tranny where I needed since my tranny mount broke. So now I finally got past that hurdle. I will be ordering the tranny mount tomorrow and get it shipped overnight, once I have that I will put a marathon in on the undercarriage components (exhaust, fuel, driveshaft). In the meantime I will be installing the wiring harness and whatever else I can too. I'm hoping to get it into the paint booth within 2 weeks or die trying. It will be going there in non running condition, no way someone is dogging my car before I do. I don;t want to even think about tuning it right now, I just want to bask in today's glory, LOL.

I call it "the Battleship" because several people told me the pics of it reminded them of a navy ship engine, haha.

Lookin good!!!!:cool: Keep us posted on the progress..

Awesome looking engine. I wish mine looked that good.:eek:

If my engine looked that good I probably wouldn't even drive my car! J/K.:biggrin:

Lookin good!!!!:cool: Keep us posted on the progress..

Awesome looking engine. I wish mine looked that good.:eek:

If my engine looked that good I probably wouldn't even drive my car! J/K.:biggrin:

I tried my best to make sure this engine stays dry, but I am going to drive it plenty on good weather days and just give it a good wipe down once a week or so. Of course, regarding the leaks, I am at that pivotal cross your fingers and hope you did everything right phase. :D

I'm getting antsy, and I have to work two 12 hour shifts this weekend so I have 2 comp days coming my way, I should be able to get everything done in that time. I just have to keep my motivation high.

I tried my best to make sure this engine stays dry, but I am going to drive it plenty on good weather days and just give it a good wipe down once a week or so. Of course, regarding the leaks, I am at that pivotal cross your fingers and hope you did everything right phase. :D

I know the feeling of firing a fresh engine for the first time!:eek: Very unnerving. Lookin at everything checking for leaks, unusual sounds, etc.

Good Luck.

I couldn't resist, had to just see what she is going to look like.

testfit002front.jpg

testfit004drivers.jpg

testfit001.jpg

And that is it for this round of Show and Tell. :( :)

Glad to see someone was productive today. I had to help a friend tune up his 94 Chevy pickup today. I did get to install my new intercooler but wanted to get more done on the car.
Your car looks great and it looks like you made a lot of head way.

Keep up the good work and keep posting the pics. What color is the car getting painted?

Glad to see someone was productive today. I had to help a friend tune up his 94 Chevy pickup today. I did get to install my new intercooler but wanted to get more done on the car.
Your car looks great and it looks like you made a lot of head way.

Keep up the good work and keep posting the pics. What color is the car getting painted?

Dark Garnet Red, no chrome, GNX flares and louvers, no spoiler, silver/burgandy GN scheme interior, 17" SLP ZR1s, custom 'TNX' badges.

It started out as an 84 WH1 barnyard find that I bought for $1,000.00 with a bad rod knock. I was going to part out it here and on Ebay. My 86 T I owned at the time is in the background. After I cleaned it up I realized that it was in better shape than my 86 could ever be while I had it and I sold the 86 and started this sadistic project. The interior was mint except 2 faded spots, there was not a dent or rust to be found either. :)

whatitstartedas.jpg

Coming soon to a street near you.........

badges, 2 of them, 1 getting made for the dash now, acid etched magnesium.

1emblempic.jpg

Sticking with my "TNX: the car that should have been made" theme:

seats.jpg

Only idea I've updated since day dreaming of this car back in 1991, the earlier daydream sessions involved garnet red GNX wheels:

wheels.jpg

looking good man :)

Thanks. Hopefully I just placed my last order for the little items I either screwed up or didn't have. But I highly doubt that's my last order for such things.

My box full of conversion parts is getting less and less, and thank god for that. :D

Tonight is Wiring Harness install time, ughhh. :(

I didn't see 1 beer near the project. 3 beers & you would of had it slapped right in :biggrin:

Hard to believe that is the same motor we sold you last year.

Stainless steel engine bolt kit will be ready soon so you don't have to powder coat all that stuff :tongue:

I didn't see 1 beer near the project. 3 beers & you would of had it slapped right in :biggrin:

Hard to believe that is the same motor we sold you last year.

Stainless steel engine bolt kit will be ready soon so you don't have to powder coat all that stuff :tongue:

I had a few celebratory beers afterwards. :D

Wait until you see the special pod I am making to hold the scanmaster and alcohol kit control, it's gonna look factory and sit beside the console but mate to the floor so you don't have to drill the hard to find consoles. If it turns out right I'll send you the mold, you been a big help.

I'm going for a subtle custom looking engine that non TR owners will think is factory, sucks for them, haha. Your silicone vacuum hose kit will compliment it well.

Dark Garnet Red, no chrome, GNX flares and louvers, no spoiler, silver/burgandy GN scheme interior, 17" SLP ZR1s, custom 'TNX' badges.

It started out as an 84 WH1 barnyard find that I bought for $1,000.00 with a bad rod knock. I was going to part out it here and on Ebay. My 86 T I owned at the time is in the background. After I cleaned it up I realized that it was in better shape than my 86 could ever be while I had it and I sold the 86 and started this sadistic project. The interior was mint except 2 faded spots, there was not a dent or rust to be found either. :)

whatitstartedas.jpg

Coming soon to a street near you.........

badges, 2 of them, 1 getting made for the dash now, acid etched magnesium.

1emblempic.jpg

Sticking with my "TNX: the car that should have been made" theme:

seats.jpg

Only idea I've updated since day dreaming of this car back in 1991, the earlier daydream sessions involved garnet red GNX wheels:

wheels.jpg

You have put a lot of thought into this project. It is going to look great! Did you have to find a custom interior guy to make the seat covers? Who makes the acid etched badges?

You have put a lot of thought into this project. It is going to look great! Did you have to find a custom interior guy to make the seat covers? Who makes the acid etched badges?

Thanks. I had Poston's make the seat covers, but it took some strong arming, $100 extra dollars, and 12 weeks. I had them do something similar for my blue 86 T back in 1999 but they didn't remember doing it. I know Bweavy allows custom orders too, I just didn't know it at the time I ordered mine. I actually had an upholstery shop put them on this time. I upholstered my own last time and the cost/pain in the butt ratio of installing sea covers is worth the money, IMO.

The badges were made by a friend of mine, the bricks anyway. I had two online friends help me, one cleaned up my sketch in Photoshop, the other owned a print shop and had his 'foil guys' print it out on a magnesium brick. Then I ground it out and painted it. It was still curing in that pic. I'm making a mold of one so I can have a few spares around and maybe make a few key chains. He is having the dash plague made for me as we speak. The dash plaque should be a lot easier to make. Those badges have some hours put into them because I was afraid to get to close to the letters using a grinder.

Here's the link to the progression of the badges http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tu...lem-out-design-phase-small-hiccup-though.html

I'm off work today, and headed to the garage to go wire it up, the unfun part of this conversion, wish me luck. :redface:

Back