Installing DIN units plus Accessories

Rayk

Let the Boost begin!
I thought I'd post the following Thread from the Alcohol/Nitrous forum since it has to do with using a different installation kit to install after market CD/Receivers and gives one the option of installing another accessory over/under the Receiver:

Thought I'd start a new thread on the repackage effort to kind of refocus on progress to date. The Metra adapter installation kit came in today and I had a chance to play with the parts to see how this would all go together. I've posted some pics at Webshots.com and here is a link:

http://community.webshots.com/album/43179943pysRGu

Several limitations have surfaced. Following are my observations after playing with the kit for awhile:

1) The feasibility of adding a 1/4 or 1/2 DIN accessory is definitely there but because of the size of the opening it is not feasiable to add two 1/4 DIN boxes side by side. (like a boost controller and scannmaster) One or the other is OK.
2) Since only one accessory can be added it makes sense to consider repackaging the SMC Alchy controller to 1/2 DIN so that plenty of space can be utilized.
3) The metal frame with this kit is very strong and will make a really nice package with a 1/4 or 1/2 DIN accessory. It offers even more support for an aftermarket Receiver than the current plastic brackets offer.
4) This kit (Metra 99-4812) comes with 3 faceplates giving a choice of either a flat mounting or 1/2" or 1" extended. I'll try the flat and 1/2" panels out with my DIN radio to see which mounts and looks better. The 1" is definitely too much extention.
5) In the photos, I've punched the panels out to accept a 1/4 DIN box and put in the blanks on each side which come with the kit. When a 1/2 DIN box is used the two side panels would be left out.
6) A 1/4 DIN box must be at least 3 1/2" long. (BSTCont and Scanmaster are 4")
7) To fill up the full 1/2 DIN hole the box must be about 7 inches long and 1" high. the depth can be as much as 6". It would be secured to the side rails by screws which would go into the sides of the box. If this interferes with internal circuitry, a piece of perforated plumber's strap could also be used.

Well, that's about it for now. Any comments from you folks are welcome and as many as are interested should post here to let Steve at SMC know that there is a market for his kit in DIN form. I've E-mailed him privately and will send him a copy of this post. His initial response was a general interest and he is also looking into feasibility from his perspective. My next step is to install the kit in my car with my Boost Controller in the 1/4 DIN slot. But, I'm drooling over the possibility of putting my SMC Alchy controller there instead.

No worky!

Hey Ray! I tried the link and it said it was no longer available. I would like to see the pics if you can e-mail them to me. I will post pics in another forum and provide a link to them if that will help.

Matt, Yes, I did get it and started a new thread on both this forum and the Nitrous/Alchy forums as well. Here is the post with my report to date: I will be installing my boost controller in the morning and am awaiting some feedback from Steve Chlupsa as to whether he is pursuing a DIN package for his Alchy System:

Originally posted by Rayk
I thought I'd post the following Thread from the Alcohol/Nitrous forum since it has to do with using a different installation kit to install after market CD/Receivers and gives one the option of installing another accessory over/under the Receiver:

Thought I'd start a new thread on the repackage effort to kind of refocus on progress to date. The Metra adapter installation kit came in today and I had a chance to play with the parts to see how this would all go together. I've posted some pics at Webshots.com and here is a link:

http://community.webshots.com/album/43179943pysRGu

Several limitations have surfaced. Following are my observations after playing with the kit for awhile:

1) The feasibility of adding a 1/4 or 1/2 DIN accessory is definitely there but because of the size of the opening it is not feasiable to add two 1/4 DIN boxes side by side. (like a boost controller and scannmaster) One or the other is OK.
2) Since only one accessory can be added it makes sense to consider repackaging the SMC Alchy controller to 1/2 DIN so that plenty of space can be utilized.
3) The metal frame with this kit is very strong and will make a really nice package with a 1/4 or 1/2 DIN accessory. It offers even more support for an aftermarket Receiver than the current plastic brackets offer.
4) This kit (Metra 99-4812) comes with 3 faceplates giving a choice of either a flat mounting or 1/2" or 1" extended. I'll try the flat and 1/2" panels out with my DIN radio to see which mounts and looks better. The 1" is definitely too much extention.
5) In the photos, I've punched the panels out to accept a 1/4 DIN box and put in the blanks on each side which come with the kit. When a 1/2 DIN box is used the two side panels would be left out.
6) A 1/4 DIN box must be at least 3 1/2" long. (BSTCont and Scanmaster are 4")
7) To fill up the full 1/2 DIN hole the box must be about 7 inches long and 1" high. the depth can be as much as 6". It would be secured to the side rails by screws which would go into the sides of the box. If this interferes with internal circuitry, a piece of perforated plumber's strap could also be used.

Well, that's about it for now. Any comments from you folks are welcome and as many as are interested should post here to let Steve at SMC know that there is a market for his kit in DIN form. I've E-mailed him privately and will send him a copy of this post. His initial response was a general interest and he is also looking into feasibility from his perspective. My next step is to install the kit in my car with my Boost Controller in the 1/4 DIN slot. But, I'm drooling over the possibility of putting my SMC Alchy controller there instead.