You can type here any text you want

Installing timing/oil pump cover.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SS_Sean

Pro Bracket
I'm getting ready to install the time/oil pump cover on my 109 block. I have not released the cam timing distributor nut from the cover, as of yet. When I removed the cover I just unbolted the cover, but never loosened the cam timing drive lock nut. I'm getting ready to install the cover, but I'm not sure if I need to loosen the cam gear so that it spins freely, and can mate with the cam gear. I will be mounting the front cover up tomorrow and am looking forward to you suggestions. Thanks.

I'm assuming you mean you left the cam sensor in the cover when you pulled it. If that's the case just pull the cam sensor out and put on the cover. The sensor can free wheel with the cover off anyway because it's not meshed with the cam gear so you need to reset it. HTH. james

Yes, that's what I meant, but if the cover is installed and I'm sliding the cam sensor down into the cover so that it meshes with the cam gear, how would I know that the cam sensor is sitting flush with the cam gear? I want to make sure everything 'comes together' right. As far as the cam sensor 'timing,' I know that I have to do the cam timing sensor thingy...I bought that from Caspers... I just want to make sure everything slides in together and is fitting right.....

Getting the cam sensor to mesh with the cam gear is easy...the only thing that will prevents you from getting the cam sensor to sit flush on the timing cover is the oil pump gear shaft, assuming you have the oil pump already installed on the timing cover.

A long screwdriver can be used to turn the oil pump shaft till the cam sensor lines up....you'll know it's lined up cause the sensor will drop all the way down on the timing cover. It's no different than dropping in a distributor on a SB chevy.:)

How do you plan on priming the motor with the cam sensor installed, or did I miss something??

Ron

Back