You can type here any text you want

Instrument Panel Dimmer

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CzyKats44

This is the way.
I smelled some electrical burning with the headlights on after about 30 seconds. Was able to narrow it down to the dimmer checked again and it is defiantly cooking. I pulled it, broke it down, thoroughly cleaned it and scuffed each contact. Upon reassembly I dielectric greased it as well. Reinstalled, rechecked it and same result even with little wisps of smoke (fresh grease) this time. Looked at the local shops and rockauto for the dimmer switch assy only to find they are unavailable.

Short of getting a used one from here, any suggestions where to try and find a new one?

Thanks.

Quick update ... see the attached pic of the contact plate. The two burn marks on the gray conductors... Do I have a deeper problem than the Dimmer?

(the car has a digital dash)

Attachments

• 20150313_133435.jpg
    20150313_133435.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Probably have a shorted lamp wire at the shifter. The lamp that lights the PRNDL indicator moves and eventually either breaks or shorts. A short in any of the dash lights that dim with the switch will cause the dimmer element to burn like that.

Greeeeeaaaat. Looks like I'm going socket by socket. I'll start in the console and out from there. Thanks

By the way, do you sell only the flexible circuit board for the back of the cluster independently?

Those flex boards are no longer available from GM. I have refurbished boards but not new. They tend to get holes in the contact area of the bulb sockets.

Back