You can type here any text you want

Intake and cylinder head bolts....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Freddie's Buick

Hell No! I'm not a junior
Intake and cylinder head bolts....I've recycled and re-used them several times. But I think now I'd like to get new after-market ones with the up and coming upgrade I intend to do this March. Can anyone suggest good bolts and details that has already gone this route? It's just the cylinder head bolts and the intake manifold bolts..:D

Felpro has them, Ive bought a couple set's of head bolts from Felpro they were cheap $17 for both heads. I don't know how much the intake bolts are but they sell them too.

I run the ARP stage one head studs there great.

felpros are great as well

as for intake bolts, Ive always used an off the shelf SBC kit.

A.j.

Felpro has them, Ive bought a couple set's of head bolts from Felpro they were cheap $17 for both heads. I don't know how much the intake bolts are but they sell them too.

Man I've looked everywhere for them things with no luck. Seems like the only things that pops up is ARP. Seems like most after-market catalogs no longer address 1981's. Summit, Jegs, (Chebby and Ford), never heard of Buick's.
Followed by many other online catalogs. AHHHRRGG!!!:mad:

Maybe you got the Fel-Pro part number?

I can get them at work Freddie. You'll need to go into the store and find someone whoe's head isn't in a dark and smelly place though.

I do agree with Aj though. Get the studs and you can't go wrong. I usually get the intake bolts from an off the shelf source so I can get allen head bolts in stainless and polish them up some. You can also find the stainless as a kit on evilbay if you want.

I'm old school Charlie. I don't get those funny looking bolts with weird heads. I hate having to buy a new tool just for a bolt or a screw. Heck my OEM head bolts have gone through being torqued and removed at least 4 times. I'm only figuring that this time it may not go my way so I'd better be safe than sorry.

Aren't there any normal oem style bolts available anymore that won't rip a hole in my pocket? :confused:

I looked but nothing I could find is strictly for my engine they're all generic. I'm looking at these with the specific application to my engine:

Intake manifold bolts:

ARP 423-2001 - ARP Stainless Steel Intake Manifold Bolt Kits - Application - SummitRacing.com

Head Bolts:

ARP 123-3601 - ARP High Performance Series Cylinder Head Bolt Kits - Application - SummitRacing.com

They're ARP's. I just could'nt find anything else. All I want is long life, OEM torque ability, (no wierd head patterns), for use with standard tools. Are all these 6-point hex pattern? (It's what I like to have).

Good stuff! I don't really need the entire engine's bolts. Just the intake and heads. But good to know.

I'm starting things in stages. First I'm backdating the HEI to pre-ECM, (1980), along with a Pre-CCC Q-Jet and vac/distributor. I'll run it that way a bit to see if I like it. Next stage will be the timing cover and pump mod. The final stage is guide liners for the heads.

Back in the old days I would do all of these things in one shot. But there was no way for me to know what upgrade made the most significant differance, (if at all). Now I've learned to take it one step at a time. That way I can better sort it out. :D

Send TA a note and see if they can sell you just the intake bolts Freddie. It never hurts to ask after all.

Thanks Charlie. But I think I'm going with Summit Racing. I don't like the faxing and calling method. May be somewhat expensive, but returns are not a hassle if I don't like what I get. What do ya thing about the listed bolts I posted?

I'm looking at these valve seals. I don't want the Teflon positive seals most use on these V6's. And I'm not going to to shave down the exhaust bosses for seals. Bronze guide liners really kick ass and don't need much more help in the modification department. These are umbrella type seals made of Viton....like I said , I'm old school. :biggrin:

What do you think, these would work?

Edelbrock 9758 - Edelbrock Valve Seals - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I've got like 8 sets of SBC seals if you want some freddie. I doubt they would cost much to send you and since you're not planning on doing the exhaust valves you don't need all 16. You will need to do the guides to fit the SBC seals but I can also get factory seals at work if you want.

Sorry, I've been trying to win a BTM on evilbay all day and finally scored one for $92.80 with shipping. I started to get a second to resell it on the board but decided against it.

I got spares here too, (OEM Fel-Pro positive lock types). I didn't know you had to machine the Buick head bosses to fit the SBC's. :eek:

I measured the ID of my seals and they are .479". I was going to measure my heads bosses OD to match that of the seals I want to get once I removed the heads. If you have a spare virgin head hanging around can you measure the boss and see if the OD comes close to .479"?

Two reasons why I want to try the Edelbrock's: They are made of Viton and they are umbrella seals, (they aren't the locking type which I have plenty of and most people use).

These engines originally came with umbrella seals. Most auto part shops for some reason defer to replace with the positive lock types as umbrella seals were outdated. But there is a difference.

The factory seal is .563 Freddie. And the seal is considered an umbrella. The other desigh is what Chevy used to use, the little o-rings at the top.

I just got the Ebay engine bolt kit....

its not bad... good looking stuff.... especially after in hour in the tumbler with some polish and walnut shell.

however...

the bolts kit is great, but its not all that ideal for a turbo engine.... header/valve cover bolts are usless... but everything else is worth the money.

A.j.

The factory seal is .563 Freddie. And the seal is considered an umbrella. The other desigh is what Chevy used to use, the little o-rings at the top.

The replacement Buick valve stem seals a few years ago were the positive lock types which I have but won't be using, (they have a metal ring or retainer around them that locks onto the valve boss).

Prior to that they used the umbrella type, (they have no metal ring and are shaped like an umbrella). I think the real older o-ring ones were used on Jeeps and Buick 350's.

But now you got me a little confused. Is that the Chevy boss/seal with the ID .563? Do you know what the Buick boss OD is?

Ironically, I checked the AutoZone site and they list the Edelbrocks seals I posted as a replacement. My valve's stem diameter is 11/32".

Back