Intake gaskets, at least

tonytheplumber

slow and low
Hey guys! I have to replace intake gaskets due to some pretty bad oil leakage from the front and rear rails, and I have two questions regarding this.
1- Since the oil is coming from up high, I can't tell if anything lower is leaking too since it's all coated with oil from the intake leak. Are there any common leakage areas that I should address during this repair??
2- Does anybody have any suggestions on gasket brand that they have had great experiences with? I plan on buying from one of our vendors here, but are looking for suggestions. I'm already hip to using black RTV for the rails since the gaskets are useless there.
FYI- Previous owner replaced timing cover with new GM, and I am confident of his work.

If it's a stock intake then all is needed is a felpro valley pan gasket available at any auto parts store. After the intake is removed and everything is clean, lay the intake down in the valley and see how much room there is without putting the rubber seals on the ends. I have found that many times they are too thick and RTV should be used instead. Might be the cause of a leak. Are you SURE oil is not leaking from the valve covers?

No I'm not sure the valve covers are not leaking. I know the front and rear intake rails are very wet. I can't remember if the previous owner replaced valve springs or not, so I can't speak for the valve cover gaskets being replaced, but I certianly can spank some on there while doing the intake.

Even if there is room for the intake rail seals, I will NOT use them. Only RTV. If GM has been using only RTV since the late 80's, than so will I.