You can type here any text you want

Intake Manifold Sensors

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TTipe

Snake Skinner
I have stripped my intake manifold down for some flow work but the temperature sensors don't want to come out. I have carefully used a torque wrench and an impact wrench with no success. I think galvanism has filled the threads. I'm going to try "liquid wrench" first and if necessary some plumber's brew with sulfuric acid. Helpful ideas are appreciated. Thanks

Heat always helps...but if you cant get it out , no big deal, leave it in. Doesnt affect anything.

Bryan

If you don't care about the sensors a few sharp pops from a hammer will usually brake up galvanic corrosion. If not, a good sized drill will relieve the pressure.

Although my personal experience shows that a good boxed end wrench worked back and forth will get them out. Just keep in mind when working back and forth, heat will swell the workpiece so it's a good idea to take (2)beer breaks between tries.

Heat it up and the douse it in PB blaster or Kroil. It need to sit until it cools down, and you should be able to work it back and forth slightly. Once you get it moving then keep spraying it while working it back and forth until it comes out. If it gets hard go the other way and let it sit for 10 minutes or so.;)

I was expecting you to say stick a birthday candle on it when it was hot Charlie

Freeze it
I had an aluminum roller rocker the had a frozen set screw. Put it in the freezer for a few hrs.
Loosened up with ease.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Freeze it
I had an aluminum roller rocker the had a frozen set screw. Put it in the freezer for a few hrs.
Loosened up with ease.

Great idea to use difference in material contraction rates at temperature.

Earl,

It is amazing on pipe threads........especially the factory oil galley plugs that are usually so bloody tight. They come out nearly by hand after heating and waxing. Heat the plug (or bolt) not the casting. Get it near red hot and then melt the wax into the threads.

You won't beleive the results. I show my students this trick and they can't beleive how well it works.

Will a propane torch get the bolt hot enough?

Will a propane torch get the bolt hot enough?
Those sensors came out in one piece. Soaking the threads with Liquid Wrench and putting the manifold in the freezer. It worked great! Thanks for all the help.

Just wondering for future stuck bolts. Manifold sensors not an issue for me.

I usually use a map tank but I think propane will get the heat up enough to break.it free

I can't imagine propane would do it unless you get a big tank and one of those weed blasters or something. Heatwise I'd start with nothing less than M.A.P.P gas.... but there's no way I'd do localize heating on a clock that close to #1 cam bore. Just the thought give me the heebie jeebies.

Those sensors came out in one piece. Soaking the threads with Liquid Wrench and putting the manifold in the freezer. It worked great! Thanks for all the help.
Glad it worked for ya.

Mapp gas torch & wax x2 . I did this every day when I worked in an aluminum die casting foundry works great

Back