You can type here any text you want

Intake temp sensor before MAF or after Intercooler?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BetMinesFaster

Turbo LSX Trader
Hey guys, My gn's intake temp sensor was inserted in a hole drilled into my K&N filter where it mounts to the MAF pipe, I would have thought that I would be more accurate after the intercooler in the charge pipe? Any thoughts on this subject? Thanks, Ryan

Leave it there. The IAT sensor is used primarily to correct the MAF readings for temperature. (newer MAFs like the LS1 have this correction built in) If you move it (in a generally stock environment) to a location where the air will have a different temp than at the MAF, the ECM will be using an incorrect MAF adjustment.

Thanks alot for the input, I just know that on my 97 C3500 when I supercharged it I moved it to the charge pipe to act as a charge air sensor, Just was not sure about it on this car, Thanks for the info on this!!

i have seen that sensor put in every location possible. i hope more people will chime in here.

Hey guys, My gn's intake temp sensor was inserted in a hole drilled into my K&N filter where it mounts to the MAF pipe, I would have thought that I would be more accurate after the intercooler in the charge pipe? Any thoughts on this subject? Thanks, Ryan

Leave it where it is unless your running a speed density setup or ME-R setup, etc... Basically if your running a stock type chip/ECM , then it needs to remain in the stock location.

can you zip tie it out in the open near the air filter or does it need to be in the direct air flow coming into maf or in the up-pipe?

can you zip tie it out in the open near the air filter or does it need to be in the direct air flow coming into maf or in the up-pipe?

The stock ECM programs uses IAT in conjuction with MAF flow, does that answer the question?? :)

it also depends on what you want to measure and look at. if you want to measure the ambient temperature that your motor is ingesting then put it in the filter, it you want to measure what temperature is actually seeing in the cylinder then put it after the intercooler. Either way it is fine. yes the stock computer uses the sensor but in the plenum (or anywhere after the intercooler) seems to work better for us.

it also depends on what you want to measure and look at. if you want to measure the ambient temperature that your motor is ingesting then put it in the filter, it you want to measure what temperature is actually seeing in the cylinder then put it after the intercooler. Either way it is fine. yes the stock computer uses the sensor but in the plenum (or anywhere after the intercooler) seems to work better for us.

Thanks for the great input Jason. Can you be more specifc on "works better" ?? :biggrin:

I talked to Eric Marshall and he said it really wouldn't make a difference.
That was after I already bought the harness from Casper's to extend it. I'll install mine in the up pipe after I get my XFI.

I talked to Eric Marshall and he said it really wouldn't make a difference.
That was after I already bought the harness from Casper's to extend it. I'll install mine in the up pipe after I get my XFI.

I think your right. I had to install mine in the up pipe when I installed the ME-R, however that chip is programmed to use it there :D

Back