Intercooled '85 GN???

MoscaP87

Mosca85GN
I have a 1985 GN, the non intercooled engine I just started disassembly for an engine rebuild and I was wondering if it is possible to intercool this model engine keeping the intake manifold. I had planned to use 1987 headers for relocating the turbo and route piping in an accessible location. I do realize I will have to relocate the alternator as well. I need to know if this setup would cause mechanical problem or failure. Thankyou.

I've seen the 84/85 models run a front mount I/C without changing the intake or moving the turbo. There's lots of tubing, but it can be done.

If you do a search in the hotair section, you can find a lot of info out there... There have been several different intercooling kits for the hotairs using a stock intake, and some for use with modified intakes. Unforunately nobody is making one new currently (to my knowledge) so all that are available are the used ones.

I have a 1985 GN, ........ possible to intercool this model engine keeping the intake manifold. ....... I need to know if this setup would cause mechanical problem or failure. ......

Yes, you can IC the car using the stock intake manifold, and, the set-up would not cause any mechanical failure.

You are in the wrong forum...................go to the Hot Air forum.:biggrin:

Be prepared to be called a blasphemer, cheater, corner cutter, and everything else you can imagine for not wanting 300* air going straight into your manifold. Search for my username to get a quick taste of it, LOL. :tongue:

Yes it can be done but I recommend getting a donor car. You can get virtually the same performance increase with an ALKY kit which is alot cheaper and easier to install in the short run. The downside is you have to pay for the ALKY which is a chemical intercooler. Check GNTTYPE.ORG Hot Air forum and see the issues that guy ran into. Brad

Intercool it! Reasons to use a intercooler before alky:
1. don't have to fill an intercooler up, just clean it once a year.
2. intercoolers don't have a pump that could fail, thus you will never blow the motor because the intercooler wasn't working.
3. much easier to tune
4. can be run without a chip change
5. no wiring, just plumb it in
6. if the intercooler blows a intercooler pipe loose your motor just won't recieve the boost, no damage down, besides the honda civic that beat you in the race
7. after you have been running an intercooler you can still install alky...makes more sense to have both, with both you would go thru less alky

But, who wants to debate the old intercooler vs. alky topic? Brad?:biggrin:

It isn't that hard to throw on a spearco intercooler on the front of your car and use the supplied piping. Intercooling a hot air isn't hard its when you throw a ton of parts at the car at once. Get it running in stock form then add an intercooler to avoid messing around with things. Spearco woud be the easiest to do. Port the stock intake while your rebuilding that beast.

My .02 cents. -Nick.

Nick- You are correct regarding the above and we do not have to repeat old issues. Sent you a PM regarding a Spearco. Brad

86-87 intercooled conversions

if your tearing the motor down, why not buy the 86-87 intercooled conversions that alot of parts vendors sell? Whats so great about the hot air intake manifold? wouldn't this make more sense?

if your tearing the motor down, why not buy the 86-87 intercooled conversions that alot of parts vendors sell? Whats so great about the hot air intake manifold? wouldn't this make more sense?
If I could go back in time I would have bought everything to do the conversion to 86/87 and I never would have messed with a V2 kit or the spearco. That is some darn good advice. Save your money and switch to 86/87 and be done with it. Just ask all the hot air guys how hard it is to find a bigger downpipe. Brad has also brought to my attention it is harder then ever to find a intercooler kit for the hot air. It just seems like no makes parts for the hot airs anymore. Lots can be done with a hot air motor, no doubt, but if you just starting why go down the path that will cost you more money in the long run? -Nick.

You could strip your block down to heads/block and do a complete 87 build up-all you have to do is drill a 1/2" npt oil return hole in the valley and add all the 87 pulleys and other pices as i did-worked graet on my 84 gn.

obsolete

hell I would just sell my old drivetrain and swap in the intercooled version! be done, comlete harness computer, ecm, ect! If thats to expensive since you are already gonna rebuild the motor I would just build to 87 spec, "F" the obsolete hot air motor!
Ps message Brain weaver, or intercoolerSS or beatby6 they can sell you everyithng you need