Intercooler scoop ?

corsair231

For the guys with stock/modified neck coolers. What do you think about the scoop extensions that box in the scoop and the spoiler to the front of the car? Any gain/benefit at all, or just a gimmick? How about putting a shroud around the stock crank fan?

Those scoops look good when mounted on the car & in the lowered position. They also provide a large surface area to trap & direct air to the intercooler. It's just another small piece to the puzzle when running hard with stock stuff. Here is a pic of my intercooler mounted shroud with adjustable an scoop in the down position..... a much larger hole to grab air than the stocker & no restrictive screen.

100_1745.jpg

The least expensive, easiest to find scoop extension is a Rubber Maid office trash can from Office Depot/Mas. Color and material are a close match to the stock air dams and the rolled upper edge makes it look like it belongs there. Its about $5 plus a few fasteners to mount. Some vendors were even selling these as kits. You can cut the can in half length wise and chose to make it deep or shallow as looks good to you. It will bring air in from in front of the bumper which should keep it cooler.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the tips and from now on I will consider shopping at Office Max for my performance parts. It will go right along with my Lowe's cold air kit. :biggrin:

I wonder if Office Max has contingency stickers??

Rubberized bucket

I used a rubber bucket not plastic from a feed store, the front of the bucket is round and then squares off toward the back. Cut it down the sides longways where it would fit into the existing scoop. Matched up the holes in existing aluminum scoop drilled the bucket an then bolted it up. Looked like the air intake of an F4 Wild Weasel. What was nice the cold or heat did not bother it where as plastic gets brittle and crack/breaks from UV light and temp extremes. The rubber was pliable so if you came over a speed bump you would't dent it or crack it, the rubber would go back to it's original shape and function Scooping up air....:D

I got a spare 'custom/cheap-mans' intercooler scoop!

If you want, you pay me 3 bucks and shipping fees and you got it!!!:D

Black, and fits PERRRFECT! Looks pretty cool too.

-Adam

Is that the one you have on your car and is that the lowest position?

Mine is a complete replacement intercooler shroud & scoop. It does not extend any further forward than the stock scoop. The scoop in the previous link extends off your stock scoop to the front of the bumper & is adjustable up & down. I've used both over the years & they both look & work great.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the tips and from now on I will consider shopping at Office Max for my performance parts. It will go right along with my Lowe's cold air kit. :biggrin:

I wonder if Office Max has contingency stickers??

Hey you got your cold air kit from Lowe's too!:D
ramair.jpg

Lowe's cold air

My best friend used the upper portion of rain gutter a elbow and tubing to make a cold air system. He went up to Pueblo and out ran most of the guys up there. They kind of laughed at his dollar 98 setup hey it was functionable. He ran 11:87 in his Home Base Galvanized Ram Air scooped peg legged T-Type. Looked pretty much like sverble's Lowe's cold air system. MileHigh GN called it the HomeBase BUICK!

I realize this is an old thread but I have a question.

Previous owner of my car cut the sides of the stock location mease intercooler to allow the front sway bar to go through it and bolt up.
I havent run a front sway bar for years and I just installed a HR bar so I won't be re-installing the front bar.
My question is: would it benefit me in any way by either fabricating something to closein the sides or trying to find some sides with no holes in it. Besides cosmetics

Last edited:
Wouldn't hurt to close the holes up but truthfully with the alky it probably will not make a difference on a wot pass but it might make a slight difference at around town levels.