Interesting Question

kidglok

Balls Deep
stumbled upon this, havent really thought about it in that sense:

"Regarding the tuning of a gasoline engine with the use of a wideband O2 sensor, in the presence of methanol. I'd like to have a learned opinion on whether my thinking is clear in this matter.
The question has arisen more than once as to the effect that injecting methanol, or a mixture of methanol and water, has on AFR.
Now, a wideband O2 sensor really measures lambda. Through the use of a scaling factor or a lookup table, the controller then converts this to AFR format, and that's what most folks are accustomed to looking at on their gauge.
With gasoline, we know that 1λ = 14.7:1 AFR. So if the engine is running at precisely stioch (1λ actual), the display gauge reads 14.7.
Now, for methanol, the ratio for stoichiometric combustion is somewhere in the neighborhood of 6.5:1. So if we were running an engine on pure methanol, we'd have calibrated our wideband controller such that 1λ produces a display of 6.5. Hypothetically, if we were to take that same engine and run it on gasoline, then a stoichiometric mixture of gasoline and air (again, 1λ), despite being 14.7:1 in reality, would still produce a display of 6.5.
Agreed so far?
Getting back to practical matters, let's say that we're tuning a turbocharged engine. Ignoring detonation, conventional wisdom tells us that we want to shoot for an AFR of about 12.5:1 for best torque, assuming optimum ignition timing. By my math, 12.5:1 for gasoline is 0.85λ (12.5 / 14.7 = 0.85). So we do that, and now we have a fuel table that achieves 12.5:1 on gasoline.
Now, let's say we're going to introduce some methanol into the engine. First off, I'm going to assume that the presence of water has no effect upon AFR, so the exact concentration of water to methanol is unimportant. And second, I'm going to assume that the quantity of water/methanol being introduced is significant enough to affect the engine's AFR in a measurable way- we'll say a ratio of 25% meth/water mixture to fuel (by volume).
So we start injecting the mixture and, assuming we do not reduce our fuel trim, the mixture starts going richer than 12.5:1. So we obviously start decreasing fuel to bring the mixture back towards our target. And this is where the big question arises.
The only data I've been able to find suggests that peak torque on meth is achieved at about 5.5:1. By my calculations, this comes out to 0.85λ, which is exactly the same number we came up with for the peak-torque lambda for gasoline.
So the question becomes: Assuming our WBO2 system is calibrated for gasoline, is it safe to assume that when the display on it reads 12.5 (equating to 0.85λ) that regardless of the ratio of gasoline to methanol going into the engine, the overall ratio of the combined mixture of fuels to air is ideal?

thoughts?

original post:
http://www.alcohol-injection.com/fo...e-methanol-afr-lambda-stoichiometry-2158.html

For turbocharged engines I think a typical power A/F would be 12.0 and a safe A/F 11.5 for a faster cars. That works out to lambdas of .82 and .78 using the gas lambda to A/F table. For pure methanol on fast turbo cars, I've read power A/F of 4.5 and a safe A/F of 4.0. That works out to lambdas of .70 and .63 using the meth lambda to A/F table. So the lambdas for meth are actually a little lower than for gasoline.

So depending on how much meth you're injecting, I guessed that you need to weigh the lambdas by the %meth you are burning. Makes sense. My calc for 40% meth (what my calcs say I am burning) gives me a weighted avg of .77 lambda for power and .72 lambda being safe. So on an O2 sensor calibrated for gas and using the gas lambda to A/F table, that corresponds to 11.4 A/F for power and 10.6 A/F safe.

And as a lot of us have found out, running even richer A/F ratios with meth doesn't seem to hurt performance/decrease mph so might as well run a little richer A/F ratios and be safe rather than being on the edge. I was running 10.4 A/F at the track rental recently in the low 10 sec passes and when my second fuel pump went my A/F ratio went up to 11.2. I didn't gain any mph and luckily no damage. And from past runs when I've run high 10 A/F ratios I didn't gain any mph. But at my current power level richer than 10.3 A/F or so I think starts hurting performance, but just a little. So setting my A/F ratio to 10.4 seems to be safe. And no more worries about the second fuel pump not coming on as a fuel cell and Eliminator fuel pump now sits out back.

murphster said:
For turbocharged engines I think a typical power A/F would be 12.0 and a safe A/F 11.5 for a faster cars. That works out to lambdas of .82 and .78 using the gas lambda to A/F table. For pure methanol on fast turbo cars, I've read power A/F of 4.5 and a safe A/F of 4.0. That works out to lambdas of .70 and .63 using the meth lambda to A/F table. So the lambdas for meth are actually a little lower than for gasoline.

So depending on how much meth you're injecting, I guessed that you need to weigh the lambdas by the %meth you are burning. Makes sense. My calc for 40% meth (what my calcs say I am burning) gives me a weighted avg of .77 lambda for power and .72 lambda being safe. So on an O2 sensor calibrated for gas and using the gas lambda to A/F table, that corresponds to 11.4 A/F for power and 10.6 A/F safe.

And as a lot of us have found out, running even richer A/F ratios with meth doesn't seem to hurt performance/decrease mph so might as well run a little richer A/F ratios and be safe rather than being on the edge. I was running 10.4 A/F at the track rental recently in the low 10 sec passes and when my second fuel pump went my A/F ratio went up to 11.2. I didn't gain any mph and luckily no damage. And from past runs when I've run high 10 A/F ratios I didn't gain any mph. But at my current power level richer than 10.3 A/F or so I think starts hurting performance, but just a little. So setting my A/F ratio to 10.4 seems to be safe. And no more worries about the second fuel pump not coming on as a fuel cell and Eliminator fuel pump now sits out back.

I saw it at paulies. Lookin good! I have to see what's up with my melted head before my car leaves his place. I might end up with a new set. Also going to run the Alky a little higher seeing as most of you guys are running a lot more psi thru the same nozzle as i am.

What question?

So the question becomes: Assuming our WBO2 system is calibrated for gasoline, is it safe to assume that when the display on it reads 12.5 (equating to 0.85λ) that regardless of the ratio of gasoline to methanol going into the engine, the overall ratio of the combined mixture of fuels to air is ideal?

Murhpster is MUCH more qualified than me to answer the question . . . but :p . . . I am going to say . . . .
Whatever the AFR is does not matter as much as the value that the car makes the most power at. The calculation from lambda to AFR is a baseline. Does not matter what fuel is used. Max power will still be around 0.85 lambda. The AFR reading will just vary depending on the calculation for the fuel used.

Murphster is correct as usual. :cool:
10.8-11.0 AFR on a gas scale is a safe tune for the majority of OUR applications. AFR changes with timing, plug gap, chamber design etc.
High swirl chambers with maximum squish on AL heads can typically run leaner AFR, i.e. higher lamda becasue they burn more complete and there is less oxygen in the exhaust.

Edit: I have not collected data to confim my statements, but I did read some stuff on the internet . . . . and stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last week. :eek:

Edit #2: I just wish we could get a lambda read on PL, and set CL correction to a lambda value. lol

I did answer that question (the answer is no, not safe to assume).

As I explained in the post, it seems like meth likes to be run at a little richer lambdas compared to gasoline so that as the % of meth goes up your targeted lambda, and hence your A/F display, would change. Maybe allows you to run more boost with the extra cylinder cooling. And this seems to agree with what we see.

Oh yeah, I saw your block yesterday. Ouch. Gaskets must have already been weakened from before and torched through once the hole in the gasket was made. Same thing that happened to me pretty much.

Oh yeah, I saw your block yesterday. Ouch. Gaskets must have already been weakened from before and torched through once the hole in the gasket was made. Same thing that happened to me pretty much.

thats what we were figuring. Ive gotta pull the other block i have out of the garage and get the pistons out of the basement, then bring them to pauls to get it swapped over.

you left me scratching my head. I believe this to be a advanced course in tuning. Is anyone putting on the class anyplace close to OKC? I understand a little of what the question is and I am pretty sure if the car is tuned for 12.5-1 and you have meth going into the chamber you will be fine and history has showed us. I believe my car is tuned just a bit lower like Jerryl had stated 10.8-11.5 ish. I can tell you wither way head gaskets are really not that hard to replace I have gotten quite well at them. :D