You can type here any text you want

Intermittent starting problem went away after 2 weeks use?????

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mypontiac

I have a 1989 TTA W/ 13,700 MILES. It has had an intermittent starting problem since I bought it 3 yrs ago w/ 10,500 miles.

I have just driven it the most time since I owned it. 2 Weeks straight. Now it starts every time???

2 mechanics could not find a problem with the car and now it fixes by itself????

How could this have happened???

I am glad, but confused. :confused:

Or is it the no crank (not even a click) if the engine is hot? I know this problem too well, have an extra wire from the solenoid to the battery to start it when it happens. I measured the voltage and there is only 6volts going to the solenoid when this happens. I know it has to be either a bad connection or relay or maybe even the Neutral safety switch, but dont feel like tearing into that big of a project to find it yet.

That's what I was getting at. I had the same problem long ago. There is no bad connection. GM used too small of a wire (seems to happen all over their cars, fuel pump, power windows, etc). Anyway, when the starter gets hot, because it is far to close to the header, it gets the solenoid hot as well. When this happens the solenoid binds. So it takes more current to move it. The starter wire can only handle so much wattage (wattage = amps*volts). So when the amperage demand increases the voltage drops. I ran a bigger wire about 10 years ago and have never had that problem again.

That's what I was getting at. I had the same problem long ago. There is no bad connection. GM used too small of a wire (seems to happen all over their cars, fuel pump, power windows, etc). Anyway, when the starter gets hot, because it is far to close to the header, it gets the solenoid hot as well. When this happens the solenoid binds. So it takes more current to move it. The starter wire can only handle so much wattage (wattage = amps*volts). So when the amperage demand increases the voltage drops. I ran a bigger wire about 10 years ago and have never had that problem again.

Thanks, I will try it eventually, or install an extra solenoid near the battery and run a nice fat wire down to the starter and the original starter wire to trigger the solenoid near the battery, should work fine and be less work for me.

No this was a much more mysterious crank, but not start problem.

Similar to a recently posted thread.

Was going to bring it to a mechanic, but can not get it to happen anymore!!!

Back