You can type here any text you want

Internal Engine Parts

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

V6VegaTex

OK, I've got the bug. I'm going to build a Turbo 3.8 to eventually replace my NA motor in the '77 Vega. I want to replace most of the lower rotating assembly; I need .030-over pistons, a Turbo/4.1 crank, main caps, bearings, etc. What vendors do you use to get your engine components from? Realize I don't need super-exotic performance parts, just good old, quality HD OEM replacement parts will do the job for most of what I'm planning (I will upgrade rod bolts, main studs, etc...)

Thanks!

Dave

Well, How much boost are you planning on running? A set of forged pistons will be the ticket, especially if you go over 15# allot.
Don't forget to get it balanced.

Where ever you want.
It's your engine, your choice. Where are you located? Are there any machine shop's around you that are similar with the Buick V6?
It's not machining like a S.B.C. the tolerances have to be followed. The S.B.C. run a little looser tolerance on the crank & rods. (From What I have heard).

Fred,

I'm not sure you understand my original question. If it were a SBC, I could pick up my Jegs or Summit catalog, and order off the internet or over the phone. I'm having a harder time finding engine parts for a 231 Turbo. So far, TA Performance looks like one possible option, and I have been in touch with Jack Merkel Engines, but he specializes in building engines for sale, not parts. I went to NAPA today, and told them I wanted forged pistons for a '80 231 Buick, and all they showed were cast pistons. They don't even show a different P/N for a 231 (non-turbo) crank and a 252 crank, so I'm a little worried that I won't find much of what I need at my friendly neighborhood parts store. Even this website doesn't have many links to companies that sell the guts of the engine. What I'm looking for are some recommendations for national-level retailers who stock and sell parts for the 231 main rotating assembly.

Thanks,
Dave

Well I have TRW pistons in my engine. But the machine shop took care of that for me.

There are several vendors; Jack Cotton is one of many. I dealt with Jack over the years and always got a good deal.

He is in MA. Here is a link to his site.

http://cottonsperformance.com

Thanks for the info on sources, Jim and Fred. Fred, If you don't mind, what did they charge you to do the lower half?

Thanks again,
Dave

Everything for my short block was around $1600.00. All I had to do was bolt it together.

You're doing something similar to what I'm doing, I'm going to put an engine from a 79 turbo coupe that I have rotting in my backyard (shame because it is optioned the way I would like a regal with buckets and console and t-tops but the floors are so bad the seats are falling backwards in the backseat, what do you expect from a free car lol) in my 80 sunbird. I was wondering if yours is going to be an automatic or manual. Right now my car is a 2.5 4-cyl auto, but I would like to put a saginaw 4-speed from a v-6 car in it, but I'm not sure if a manual would be good idea behind a turbo 6. Did you use an oil pan from a V-6 h-body, or is it aftermarket? I'd be interested in what you find for pistons and bearings since I'm going rebuild the engine (car only has 90,000 miles it's been sitting since 1990 so probably a good idea) before I put it in the car.

IMO, Keep the Automatic. It's keeps the car under load so you don't loose boost between shifts. This is a big plus at the drag strip.

Back