Introduction and question on 87 turbo regal

Might consider leaving it as original as possible & listen to Nick.

Have it professionally cleaned & detailed.

This is another good place to look into: http://www.penskesocial.com/penske-automotive’s-scottsdale-101-auto-collection-turns-10/

Rumor has it that Turbo Regals are known there.

PS. It's interesting how many LIMITEDS are in Washington & Oregon. Your Grandfather's would be about #5 or #6 that I've seen from the PNW.
Be careful what you tell the newbe. He might want to use a OE fuel pump, regulator, chip, and powermaster parts.

Other than that, (and a shit-load of other things), Yes, you may want to keep it "as original as possible." ;)

Be careful what you tell the newbe. He might want to use a OE fuel pump, regulator, chip, and powermaster parts.

Other than that, (and a shit-load of other things), Yes, you may want to keep it "as original as possible." ;)

Yes, I began to write about those issues, but didn't want to possibly overwhelm him. Hopefully he will perform his due diligence, plus contact Nick.

Don't think he realizes the jewel in the rough that he may have.

Number of Buick GNX ever produced: 547

Number of 1987 Turbo-T LIMITEDS ever produced: 1035

How many have been lost due to collision or worn out & crushed in 30 years?

How many produced with bucket seats?

How many were modified, raced & no longer original?

Many of those Pacific Northwest cars look like hell at first, but they clean up well.

Just like any other car you never get what you put into it. But this is a super cool car with a sentimental connection I would say bring it back. Once you get it driving nice you will fall in love. These cars are so much fun and the community keeps you motivated. I inherited my wife's grandfather's 83 na base regal with 20 k miles on it and even though it doesn't get much attention I love it and it's fun to share the story. Keep it in the family you've got a great story to go with a beautiful car.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

limited door panels, limited leather seats, WO5 on the spid label

looks like a real limited to me, one of 1035 , as noted above. And 19u black, real nice.

kirban notes in his book the black ones are pretty rare.

Last edited:
Black limited with grey leather. Doesn't get much more sexy than that. How bad is it really? Rust issues? I've seen quite a few clean cars that are just oxidized and chalked out from sitting. Nothing that can't be addressed and won't cost you a fortune. The fuel and brake systems will need looked into, but parts are available. Good luck with it. I hope you see it thru.

If it's rubbery, replace it. Fuel lines, vacuum lines, ALL hoses (except AC lines, they usually last forever), plug wires, door seals (trunk & hood seal should be ok). Hard parts = fuel components and oil change as mentioned before + new sparkplugs (AC R43TS for starters) + trans fluid change + filter. The good news is as long as the car makes decent oil pressure and runs well, there are a small finite number of ignition parts that typically fail (5-7 basically) and cause all the problems on these cars. Look at "spring cleaning" on www.gnttype.org. That is a good primer website on how these cars work. Good luck.

Oh and check the driver side header for cracks (it's cracked most likely). It will come out the top if you are diligent, access the bolts through the wheelwell, lots of penetrating oil first though.