Introduction: The Colonel

The Colonel

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is JOE HELSING. Richard Clark has asked me to oversee the TSA inspection process for his special award for the winner of the TSA class at Bowling Green this October. See his post at A2000Rich, dated 11 Feb 2010 2:16 PM under TSA Rules and Regulations at Turbobuick.com. I am the retired Air Force Colonel that Richard mentions. I purchased my 1987 GN new and have maintained it ever since. One owner. There have been many questions about TSA rules from racers. Please be advised that the key words here in Turbo Stock Appearing are 'Stock Appearing'. It must appear as if the vehicle just came off of the trailer fresh from the GM factory. Those who wish to qualify for Richard Clark's special award in TSA Class must abide by TSA Rules. The rules are posted at Buick GS Club of America. Click on Bulletin Board and scroll and click on GS NATS-RACE RULES & PAYOUTS and then click on TSA TURBO STOCK APPEARING. The rules will come up. For example: chrome plated differential case covers are a no-no since GM did not ship Turbo Regals that way. Polyurethane bushings in the suspension are likewise not stock appearing, as is tinted glass beyond GM's original Glass tint. If your state allows a deeper tint, then you must bring a copy of that page(s) from your states Motor Vehicle Code that permits a deeper tint. The Vin Code under the windshield must match the Vin Code on the trunk lid Service Parts Identification Label (SPI). I'm looking forward to meeting TSA racers

Welcome aboard Colonel Helsing, looking forward to meeting you at the Nationals in a couple weeks. I hope ALL participants can follow the rules for TSA also, sure would make tech easier.

Will there be a time allowance set forth, so any violations may be addressed and made to comply, say 1 or 2 hours? Then a retech of the car by all participants? I hope we will not have to go thru this again, but this may need to be thought of.

Thanks
Bill

TSA tech check

Bill @ Thumper: Your suggestion for a one or two hour pause and then a re-check after a violation is found sounds reasonable. I'l discuss it with Richard. Thanks for the input.

3/28/10 v3 version of TSA Rules

In my post on 7 Oct 2010, I referenced an old version of TSA Rules. Please be advised that this latest version (3/28/10 v3) can be found at garyk1970, dated April 12,2010. Briefly, the TSA TR Class is limited to 86/87 vin 7 vehicles. Please carefully read that updated version of the rules. I apologize for the oversight. There are some significant details in the updated version. My thanks to garyk1970 for his diligence in posting the updated version.

In my post on 7 Oct 2010, I referenced an old version of TSA Rules. Please be advised that this latest version (3/28/10 v3) can be found at garyk1970, dated April 12,2010. Briefly, the TSA TR Class is limited to 86/87 vin 7 vehicles. Please carefully read that updated version of the rules. I apologize for the oversight. There are some significant details in the updated version. My thanks to garyk1970 for his diligence in posting the updated version.

youre welcome.would you like the rules posted here?

here is the TSA rules.

The following rule clarifications TSA "Turbo stock appearing" TR class qualifying ET 13.2

are intended to clarify some aspects of the rules that have been brought up as unclear. Little has changed from the last two years.

The TSA TR class is intended to provide a race class for 86/87 vin 7 cars that are STOCK APPEARING. It is intended that with the STOCK APPEARING requirement, innovation will develop methods that will push the performance of STOCK APPEARING cars to a level that has not been achieved in the past. In some cases such as exhaust systems where original replacements are no longer available and haven't been for quite some time we will allow "reasonable upgrades". For the sake of these rules the term "stock appearing" does NOT mean similar to, better than, improved, really close, almost identical, should have been like this, what GM really intended, more stock than stock, they made a mistake and this is how my car was shipped, etc. Clones and dealer installed aftermarket options are not allowed unless they are specifically mentioned in the rules. Since the spirit of the class is for STOCK APPEARING cars we really shouldn't have to spell things out in much detail. This means if we can SEE it and it's not how the car was delivered its not allowed. Or put another way if you have to ask if its ok------ its not!

No tools will be used for inspection beyond a light, mirror, ruler, scales and scan tool. No removal of parts or disassembly will be done in tech that requires tools. Cars are subject to re-tech at any time before or after runs as well as reweighing. Cars will be inspected and weighed after each qualifying and racing pass. Car must have option sticker on trunk lid with VIN that matches car. Each car must be represented at tech by only one person. This person does not have to be the driver or owner but the person chosen must be the only one that interacts with the RRA. Failure to obey this rule will result in disqualification.

The qualifying ET is based on the factory posted times for a GNX. With poor tires, exhaust, chip and turbo (all allowed in this class) the GNX was able to achieve 13.2 as far back as 1987.

Suspension :

Must retain all original equipment.

NO frame mods or reinforcements.

Stock wheelbase, stock unmodified control arms front and rear with black bushings in original locations.

Since all the cars didn't come with the same body bushing compliment you can have them in all locations as long as they are GM bushings.

No frame braces that didn't come on the car.

No traction bars unless the car is an original GNX and then they must be original.

Rear seat braces are ok as long as they are installed and visible only from the trunk.

8.5 inch 10 bolt GM rear with stock stamped cover unless it is an original GNX. Posi may be added to non posi cars.

Must have stock dimension and diameter sway bars front and rear with black bushings.

Stock appearing brakes, drums back (alum ok), disc front.

Any type stock appearing shocks in stock location----any color ok.

Springs must be single coil design like original stock springs.

No air bags.

Car must sit within one inch of stock ride height. This would be 8" from road surface to frame rail measured at all 4 jacking mounts.

Engine compartment

109 block with no EXTERNAL mods.

All original equipment and sensors intact-no deletions or additions that aren't supported by build tag on inside trunk lid. Original size battery in stock location with original type side terminals and battery cables.

Original type stock appearing front cover and water pump. Large capacity oil pump is ok. Stock appearing cooler lines must be in place with stock appearing adapter.

Original, stock, externally appearing manifold, throttle body (alum or silver in color).

Original appearing starter and 120A CS alternator with stock appearing fan.

Stock accessory bracket with original appearing power steering pump/pulley and AC compressor/pulley

Stock appearing black coil pack.

Grey or black spark plug wires original size/length/diameter routed in original location.

Original GM headers with heat shields intact---may be welded for repair purposes.

Original diameter one piece downpipe (2.5"max)

Original type wastegate---- may be modified to make it adjustable (ie threaded rod).

Original type solenoid (one only) must be only control for wastegate.

Stock appearing 3 bolt turbo must fit under unmodified shield mounted in stock location with stock bracket with stock GM cast inlet bell with vent intact-------no visible modifications to the turbo compressor or exhaust housing are allowed----the vent can be blocked but like everything else it must not appear from the outside to be modified.

Stock appearing MAF (AC molded with down turned plug)

OEM inlet flex hose and up pipe (up pipe can be painted silver) with no modifications (holes, tape, shortening, etc)

Stock intercooler with no external mods with stock inlets/outlets mounted with stock brackets in stock location with stock scoop (screen may be removed)

Any size injectors in 6 stock locations.

Stock appearing fuel rail

GM 8445 heads with NO external mods or logos---- installed with GM TTY bolts. Any head gaskets.

Stock appearing unmodified valve covers (must be alum or silver in appearance) installed with 1 oem style cork gasket, NO spacers. Original filler cap and tube on driver side.

Original breather and tubing on pass side.

Stock radiator tanks. Additional cores can be added but support cannot be modified.

Original underhood wiring and loom must be intact with no additions/deletions that aren't supported by option tag-----only exceptions 1-anti-theft, 2- single relay and wiring for fuel pump "hotwire" upgrade. All underhood parts must be mounted in original location and oriented as delivered from the factory.

AC may be converted to R-134 and must be operational enough to blow colder than ambient.

Powermaster with stock reservoir. Line lock and or proportioning valve may be used as long as it is not visible under the hood or have visibly modified fluid lines or any parts that extend below the lower frame line of the car. No wires or switches may be visible inside the passenger compartment.

Stock unmodified air box (no holes when installed on car) with snorkel.

NO chrome if GM didn't do it.

Hoses must be black and clamps must be original color.

No engine tiedowns.

Aftermarket engine/tranny mounts ok if they use original mounting holes and black cushions.

Stock unmodified fans in both locations-radiator and crank. Original diameter pulleys and serpentine belt.

Tranny

2004R with no visible external mods except for 2nd servo.

Stock pan and driveshaft---loop ok, any convertor or transbrake as long as it is not visible under or inside the car.

Trans cooler ok as long as it is mounted and plumbed "GNX" style

Tires/wheels

Any matching set of 15" or 16" steel or alum wheels-------must retain original bolt pattern-------front tires must be at least 215 wide ------rear tires must be 275 or less DOT radials-----NO SLICKS

Interior

Full stock appearing interior matching option codes on trunk lid. Original gauge cluster, only addition to gauges is boost (2 1/8 max dia) and it must be pillar, column or console mounted.

Stock shifter

Radio may be upgraded but must fit in stock location with no visible components/parts elsewhere.

All windows must be glass and all door windows must function as normal.

Exterior

Complete car exterior retaining original appearance as it was on the showroom floor.

All bumpers (must be original steel), fillers, panels and lights must be in place.

All body panels must be painted--- no bare metal or primer.

No signs on painted exterior of car. Any signs on windows must be smaller than 1" letters, logos <2" unless they are from state inspection or a factory window sticker.

No fiberglass or ABS body parts except for bumper fillers.

Full size OEM aluminum or steel bumper reinforcements, use of aluminum bumper reinforcements does not have to match VIN tag in trunk.

Bumper shocks must be original steel/unmodified.

No mods to sheet metal. Rear fenders may be rolled on the inside for tire clearance but they must appear untouched on the outside of car. Wheel well trim must be in place.

Repro header panels and trunk spoilers are allowed if they are fitted correctly and look original. T’s may have spoiler added.

Car may be undercoated.

Fuel system

Factory stock appearing tank, no VISIBLE additions to tank or pumps except for relay and wire upgrade

Replacement lines may be used as long as they are original size and are routed in stock location

233 or 237 regulator with no external mods.

Stock ECM with any chip, no other computers allowed.

Only one O2 and it must be installed in the original location. A second O2 bung may be installed in the Catalytic convertor for tuning but it must be plugged for qualifying and racing.

Must run gasoline for fuel, no more than 10% oxygenators------any octane ok

No fuel additives, NOS, alcohol or other chemicals allowed

Exhaust

Downpipe must be one piece and attach to stock elbow in stock fashion (ie with donut and spring loaded bolts, downpipe must route in stock location, no flexpipe.

Stock diameter one piece crossover pipe (does not have to neck down on either end)

Stock appearing full length cat must be in stock location-- must be able to pass a 50 state VISUAL inspection-----only exception is addition of O2 bung

Original design or dual mufflers but must function (muffle) and exit in BOTH stock locations, any size pipes past "Y" connection at cat. No cutouts.

Minimum weight 3,500 w/driver lbs-------spare tire and jack does not have to be in place when racing or weighing

Car must race identical as it appears in the concours with NO changes except for wheels and tires.

also, i recommend only those that have a car trying to participate in TSA be the only ones in the tech area during peer tech.....

also, i recommend only those that have a car trying to participate in TSA be the only ones in the tech area during peer tech.....

It would be nice for those who are wanting to run their cars in this class in the future to be able to have a look and see what they will need to present for the next event running this class. I recommend only those that have a car trying to participate in TSA (or any of the heads-up classes) be the only voices & opinions in the tech area during peer tech...

K.

I'd allow the driver to have one other person to help during peer tech...always good to have an extra set of eyes to level the playing field.

ROLLCALL:TSA racers for Richard Clark's Special Award

We would like to have an idea of how many TSA racers want to participate in Richard Clark's special award for the TSA Class next week at Bowling Green. If you are interested please respond to this post.

Note to Bill at Thumper. Yes to your question if there will be time to correct discrepancies found during tech inspection. Bear in mind that the whole idea is to come to this event with a vehicle that already meets TSA Rules so as to reduce to a minimum confusion and delays. However, time will be allowed to correct any faults and then be re-checked for compliance. Richard Clark is looking for maximum participation in this event and all 86/87 vin 7 vehicles are welcome.

Please bear in mind that TSA Rules specify that only one person can represent the vehicle during tech. That person can be the owner, driver, or some other individual, but not all three. Only one person can interact with me during tech inspection. Violation of this rule is grounds for disqualification. Please be advised to comply with the latest TSA Rules dated 3/28/10 v3 found nearby at garyk1970 dated Oct 9, 2010.

I am not a participant in this event, nor do I represent any one who may compete. My sole purpose is to ensure a smooth and fair tech process. I thank you for your interest and participation.

Colonel,
I will be there with my car. I to hope for many participants and fair competition.
These rules are simple, unless bent and manipulated, allowing some not to comply, and allowing them to participate at the cost of wanting high participants. Then it becomes unfair for the ones who go thru great costs to be in compliance to begin with. I feel that if the rules are simple and enforced, participants will know what they are up against and will come prepared for some fun and fair competition with the car count to grow. If unfairness is allowed then many will not participate no matter how much money is thrown at it.
I understand that certain items can be easily overlooked, in a since that is what tech if for. But to blantantly ignore the obvious......

Thanks
Bill

Please bear in mind that TSA Rules specify that only one person can represent the vehicle during tech. That person can be the owner, driver, or some other individual, but not all three. Only one person can interact with me during tech inspection. Violation of this rule is grounds for disqualification..

Just wondering, if you have a person pointing out problems on TSA entry cars and they are not one of the people who is allowed to interact with you how are you going to know who to disqualify???

Thanks, Kip

Ride height and shocks?

Can shims or clamps be used on rear springs to adjust for proper ride height?

Roll Call

I would suggest that the TSA Roll Call be a separate thread and not one buried in this one. :) It would get more exposure as a separate thread.

KIP, yesterday at 1030 AM. Any entrant can point out to me their concern about a possible discrepancy on a vehicle. While I am teching a vehicle, that owner/driver should be able to have a one on one with me without interruption. After the tech, then drivers or owners can discuss any issues and bring them back to my attention. Legitimate concerns will be addressed. Some judgement calls will have to be made, but the rules are straight forward. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Colonel,
I will be there with my car. I to hope for many participants and fair competition.
These rules are simple, unless bent and manipulated, allowing some not to comply, and allowing them to participate at the cost of wanting high participants. Then it becomes unfair for the ones who go thru great costs to be in compliance to begin with. I feel that if the rules are simple and enforced, participants will know what they are up against and will come prepared for some fun and fair competition with the car count to grow. If unfairness is allowed then many will not participate no matter how much money is thrown at it.
I understand that certain items can be easily overlooked, in a since that is what tech if for. But to blantantly ignore the obvious......

Thanks
Bill
Bill @ Thumper: I understand and appreciate your concerns. You make a valid point. All entrants will be able to examine each others cars. Any questions can then be brought to my attention. Some judgement calls will naturally come up. These cars are 23 and 24 yrs old. I cannot predict all questions that will come up but they will be handled in a fair and equitable manner. Some entrants may be turned away for non-compliance with TSA Rules. My point is to have a one on one with the owner/driver during tech without distractions. Richard Clark wants maximum participation but within the rules. Thank you for your input.

Can shims or clamps be used on rear springs to adjust for proper ride height?
V6 Power @ 11:31 yesterday. TSA Rules allow any type STOCK APPEARING shocks in the STOCK LOCATION, any color OK. Regarding rear springs. Without seeing this arrangement, it is difficult to judge. Clamps,shims, used on rear springs to CONTROL ride height are one thing. If used to gain a traction or weight transfer advantage, then it would not comply.