Introduction, unusual turbo project...

lazymaritimer

Hi All,
This is my first post here. I have been working on a bit of an unusual turbo project, and my research has led me to the world of Buick turbo's. I have always been a fan of the V6 turbo Buicks. I am working on a project that has alienated me from my usual communities. Although what I am doing may be of little or no interest to you folks, what you folks are doing is of great interest to me.

My car is a 74 Barracuda, and the proposed power-plant is the venerable 3.9 V6 Magnum (ala dodge dakota/ram), with a turbo. Although there are indisputably better choices for the V6, using the 3.9 greatly simplifies the process in this case. The engine will retain most of the factory MPFI, be backed by a 4 speed manual transmission, and standalone engine management (probably MSII).

I have tried in vain to find resources through the typical Mopar muscle car and Dakota/Ram communities. Everyone laughs, and almost without exception, recommends a fire breathing big block V8. By using the V6 I hope to reduce overall weight, move the weight bias rearwards (by moving the engine centre of mass rearward), and improve overall handling and drivability. I am looking for an honest 300-325 hp at the flywheel. I understand that the similarities between the Buick V6's and the Magnum V6 are few, but I am hoping to absorb as much knowledge from you folks as I can. I will probably be mostly a lurker, but you may see the occasional post. Anyway, thanks in advance for the information here!

Good luck with your project.

There is no magic in the Buick LC2 3.8 V6 other than it can hold up to some pretty high boost levels.

As long as your engine does not detonate, it should live. With modern aftermarket engine management and wideband o2 sensors you can pretty much do anything - for a price. You are facing an uphill battle though - as you will be doing a lot of trial and error. I am sure all your friends just tell you to get a 395 hp crate motor for $5,600 and call it a day:)

I am quite excited to get underway. There is a ton of relevant info on your site here. I have been running turbo 4cyl dodges for a number of years now (my current toy is an Omni GLH), and I have learned the perils of detonation! I applaud you folks and what you have been doing with the V6 turbos. I may not have a real Buick, but it will have alot of Buick spirit in it. Thanks...

Cool. It's always nice to see someone thinking for themselves and being an individual. I sort of think of all of us Buick folks as that type too or else we would be on a Monte Carlo board. :) Welcome to the site.

I would be curious to see what the stock compression level is. Isn't the 3.9 a chopped off 5.2? 5.2's are notorious for spitting out front seals. Under pressure, it may leak like a sieve. Probably need a real good crankcase evac pump running off a hobbs switch when you get into boost or maybe off the TPS to a relay. I love the idea though.

Congrats and good luck on what sounds like a really cool project! I think it's probably safe to say, turbo Buick owners are usually a little "different" and most have an appreciation for unique projects like yours. I only wish I had the time to take on a project that big.

Welcome!

:biggrin:

I would be curious to see what the stock compression level is. Isn't the 3.9 a chopped off 5.2? 5.2's are notorious for spitting out front seals. Under pressure, it may leak like a sieve. Probably need a real good crankcase evac pump running off a hobbs switch when you get into boost or maybe off the TPS to a relay. I love the idea though.

I ran an S-trim supercharger on a 5.2L Dakota at 12psi with NO problems or leaks. Very strong engines & i was just using the stock pcv valve & crankcase breather. No leaks. :D

Thanks for all the input guys, I am making loads of "paper" headway on the project. The 3.9 is a chopped magnum V8, and shares the same bore/stroke (3.91/3.31), and the CR runs from 8.8-9.1:1 depending on the year.
Here is where things get *really* neat. The new 3.5 HO as found in the new charger/magnum platform uses the same rear trans mounting pattern as the magnum and LA engines (3.9, 5.2, 5.9, 318, 340, 360, etc) and uses the same mounts as the 5.7 hemi, which will bolt into the barracuda with a set of off the shelf adapters. The new 3.5 is all aluminum, OHC, and uses cross bolted mains. This makes it as much of a bolt in deal as the 3.9 would be, and starts you off lighter, and with an extra 75hp. The CR is a bit higher, but a set of custom forged pistons would bring it back into the boostable area. A redline of 6800+rpm is nice too, and it seems to be a more performance oriented design. It all sounds like a better place to start, but the 3.9's are so cheap and plentiful, it would be a safer starting point. If I am going to grenade a motor or two to get the engine management dialed in, I should probably start with the 3.9, LOL.