You can type here any text you want

IROC replica wheels on a Regal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

at7we2

Anyone have any comments, advice, words of wisdom regarding the American Racing chrome IROC replica rims? They look like a really good "bang for the buck" although I'd prefer them in just polished aluminum instead of chrome, but apparently that's not an option.

I'm considering purchasing a set of 16x8's for my GN and I'm wonder how well they fit and what's the largest size tire I can run. Will a 255/50/16 fit on the rear *without* a spacer?

The published specs on these wheels indicate they have 4" backspacing. That seems like a little much to me. I've run 15x8's with 3.5" backspacing and it was perfect. I'm a little concerned the IROC wheels with 4" backspacing will be tucked in too far - and I don't want to run any spacers.

and BTW, if you haven't seen Red Regal T's pics of his cars with these wheels on them, you should check out the pics he has posted on WebShots. They look really nice.

any input is appreciated.
Thanks!

Keep in mind the limited selection of tires with 16's(my T/A 265/50 are now obsolete in size for example). I have this size (16 inch) due to my Baer brakes on my GN and planning to go to 17's in the future for better selection of sizes.

I run 245-50-16's all the way around and have plenty of room to clear with four "front" z-28 wheels....

15x8 with 4" backspace will be slightly tucked in. Not enough to rub on the frame unless you run a huge tire. But just in terms of looks, yeah, it'll appear tucked in a little bit.

I agree with "Turbo6Chicago" as I did have some 16"x8" wheels with a rear spacing of 4", and they did look "tucked in"...:(

Claude ;)

hmmm....thanks for the input guys, I think that kills the IROC's for me. I really can't stand the "tucked in" look. IMO, an 8" wheel is perfect with 3.5" B.S.

too bad, I found an online vendor that's selling brand new 16x8 chrome IROC's for $499.00/set with lugnuts, oh well.:rolleyes:

Thanks,
Rob

Here's the wheels on my ZQ8 Sonoma in 18's. They bolt right up on my 87T too. I prefer tucked wheels over the Starskey and Hutch look, but then again I drive a yellow truck so what do I know....LOL :o

Look how many guys run GTA fronts all the way around - that's exactly how these IROC's will look. What's wrong with that :confused:

Attachments

• Sonoma 001.jpg
    Sonoma 001.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 2,924
You could run a 1" wheel adapter. I know you said you don't want a spacer in there but an adapter is much safer, used in off-roading and drag racing applications fairly often.

T Spool - NICE RIDE!! Those are 18's?? Hmm... wonder how those would look on the GN....

Turbo6Chicago -
Thanks for the suggestion, but I guess it's just a personal thing for me...I wouldn't run spacers or adapters if someone paid me. Years ago I worked for Discount Tire for 6 years and Super Shops for 2 years. Saw WAAAAY too many broken spacers *AND* adapters.

I don't mean to flame anybody, but honestly I don't understand why anyone would spend the kind of money these cars require to modify and maintain and then not pony-up and spend the dough on a set of wheels with the correct offset. :confused: I don't have the funds for set of custom wheels, so I'll pick from what is available that actually fits correctly. I'd rather have a set of boring rims that fit and function safely than a set of cool rims that are "rigged" to work.

It sounds like the IROC's fit, but the offset isn't what I like, but that's just my preference, not a safty issue. :cool:

Thanks,
Rob

I understand how you feel. I personally find the selection of rims in our bolt pattern and offset to be pretty boring, any of the wheels that actually fit and look good are going to be popular and I don't want the same wheels as 90 other guys.

I had good luck with adapters and 18 inch wheels but I understand I can't argue against your personal experience seeing them fail.

I understand how you feel. I personally find the selection of rims in our bolt pattern and offset to be pretty boring, any of the wheels that actually fit and look good are going to be popular and I don't want the same wheels as 90 other guys.

I had good luck with adapters and 18 inch wheels but I understand I can't argue against your personal experience seeing them fail.

thanks for posting that. I certainly did not mean to flame or insult you or anyone else. and yeah, it seems like off-the-shelf wheel options for our cars are slim. If you've got a Mustang or an F-body, there are literally dozens, maybe a hundered good looking off-the-shelf wheel options, many of which are under $200.00 each! :rolleyes:

gonna go hunt the net for some good looking but affordable wheels now....

Rob

I spend a few hours a week looking through wheels hoping I'll magically come across some set that I haven't seen before that has the right spacing and everything. I've found some cool wheels but most would need a wheel adapter to adjust the bolt pattern. Seems like we are limited to the traditional style wheels offered by American Racing, Centerline, etc.

Maybe if I get lucky my aftermarket 15" wheels that I currently have will fit over the F-body 12" brakes that I'm going to install in front. I know the stock 15" GN wheels don't fit but aftermarket is different. If not, I'll be on the hunt for new 16" or 17" wheels....

If the 15" wheels you currently have are the black wheels with chrome lip on them that are in that picture in your sig... if they dont work out for you, I would be interested in purchasing them from you...

What kind of wheels are those?

Here's the wheels on my ZQ8 Sonoma in 18's. They bolt right up on my 87T too. I prefer tucked wheels over the Starskey and Hutch look, but then again I drive a yellow truck so what do I know....LOL :o

Look how many guys run GTA fronts all the way around - that's exactly how these IROC's will look. What's wrong with that :confused:

Hey I was just looking at these for my White-T. What is the tire size and the backspace. 4.5 all the way around??

Hey I was just looking at these for my White-T. What is the tire size and the backspace. 4.5 all the way around??

Since I bought them for my truck, I went with a slightly taller tire 245/45/18 they're about 27" tall. A 245/40 would be close to stock height and a little wider. Yes, they are 4 1/2" backspace all around.

Attachments

• Sonoma 012.jpg
    Sonoma 012.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 2,299
hmmm....thanks for the input guys, I think that kills the IROC's for me. I really can't stand the "tucked in" look. IMO, an 8" wheel is perfect with 3.5" B.S.

too bad, I found an online vendor that's selling brand new 16x8 chrome IROC's for $499.00/set with lugnuts, oh well.:rolleyes:

Thanks,
Rob

Could you send me the info on the deal? I'd like to put the chrome ones on my IROC, and thats a pretty good price

the $499.00 deal was from an eBay vendor. I just stumbled across it several nights ago.

I just checked my "watched items" and that listing has expired. It was a "Buy It Now" only listing for (4) BNIB 16"x8" American Racing chrome IROC replicas and lugnuts.

I'd keep checking eBay. Another similar deal is bound to pop up.

how much do those IROC knockoffs weigh compared to a stock IROC wheel?
i know stock IROCs are heavy compared to GTA wheels, and even tho they are supposed to be the same, when i changed from IROC's to GTA's on my Nova, the GTA's had about 1/4" more clearance on both the front and rear than the IROCs did- the GTA's cleared everything nicely with 255/50/16's, where the IROCs rubbed at full lock on the fronts and when hitting steep driveway approaches and what not in the rear with a slightly smaller 245/50/16 tire.

update - going to try the 16x8 IROC's on the GN

ok...I had ordered a set of Billet Specialties new "Street Lite" wheels, but then I talked myself out of it and canceled the order. That's an awsome looking rim and a very good price, but I just decided I DO NOT want anymore 15" rims!

gonna try 16" IROC's. Wanted 17's, but they've been discontinued, go figure. :mad: I might regret not going with the 18's, but we'll see how everthing fits and looks.

novaderrik -
you said you switched from IROC's to GTA's and the GTA's had more clearance. were the IROC's original GM wheels or replicas? I've checked several sources for the IROC replica wheels and some of them have the backspace listed as 4.5" and some have it at 4.0" but every source I checked has the offset listed at 0" :confused: seems to me like an 8" wide rim with 0" offset would have to have 4.0" backspacing.

anyway....FWIW, I'll post pics and comments when I get everything mounted and installed. :cool:

Back