Is it ok to put a new converter in an ailing tranny?

Vader 87

Licensed
Im thinking about getting in on the YANK group purchase but my tranny is showing signs of needing a rebuild soon.....would this hurt anything or could the converter be refreshened when i take the trans out? etc TIA Jason

I would go ahead and buy the converter but wait until the rebuild to install. Everything that is happening inside that trans will end up in the converter and it will need to be flushed out. Clutch material likes to hide in all the little spaces and come out at the most inopertune time to stick valves and clog screens (governor & TCC)

the yank GP is going on at either ls1.com or camaroz28.com...do a search and youll find it.

I wouldn't reccommend putting a nice piece like that in a "hurt" or real old trans.
Also with that converter make sure you got a hardened stator. You will need it..:)

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

Bruce,
Would there be any problem installing the hardened stator in a tranny with 80k on it with the yank converter,tranny is doing perfect now after you did the valve body !!!!
Also why would you need a hardened stator with this converter over the 9/11 converter or artcarr or vigelanti,does it have more STR or something?
Thanks,Brian

Bruce,
Would there be any problem installing the hardened stator in a tranny with 80k on it with the yank converter,tranny is doing perfect now after you did the valve body !!!!
Also why would you need a hardened stator with this converter over the 9/11 converter or artcarr or vigelanti,does it have more STR or something? Is it hard to replace the stator or is it very finiky ?
Thanks,Brian

Originally posted by WE4
I wouldn't reccommend putting a nice piece like that in a "hurt" or real old trans.
Also with that converter make sure you got a hardened stator. You will need it..:)

What I meant by this was any converter with more torque will require a stator installed... That's all.....:)

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com