You can type here any text you want

is it over kill for street?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

kandc7

Qa1 coil overs and shocks for the street? or should i just get new springs and bilstein shocks and air bags? it is a street car and sees track 1 or 2 a year. i just want to do it right once.

Big cost differential... if you have the money, why not? The QA1s ride nice on all the settings in my opinion. I don't own the coil overs though. I just did some new springs and nice single adjustables. I heard the coil overs (front) don't transfer weight as well as other options, so I avoided them. My opinion though.

Will it ride hard? I know you can adjust the shocks but is the cost of going that way be worth it? Will you hook on the street good? And how.much do you adjust it for street vs track?

I have 50/50s in the back (lakewood) and QA1Rs in the front. I leave them on 0 setting all the time and it is a nice cushy ride. kinda bouncy though as to be expected from a 90/10 setting. using 5658 moog front springs and some older 3rd gen WS6 springs in the back.

Aren't the bilsteins supposed to be a firm setting? I figured those would be more harsh than anything.

My car hooks well on the street or track. 1.46 60' on the track with the 275/60s. only difference is that I have the hellwig body mounted swaybar and pretty solid bushings in the back.

I like how it rides... people fall asleep in it all the time!

Wow good to know. So I guess I should save a few extra $$$ then but the coil overs and qa1. And be done with it.

just to mention, I do not run the coil overs. just springs and shocks.

How much of a ride difference will that make on quality of ride? I would hate to spend all that money and hate the ride quailty

I wouldnt spend the money. Get a good set of 5658's and Bilsteins and be done with it. Most front end performance comes with geometery changes and simple replacement of old worn out parts. Why spend the money? Just being honest.

I agree Jeremy. do the 5658s and good shocks. whether it is the Bilsteins or QA1s or stranges. I also used gbody upper arms (cheap) and proforged 1/2" longer ball joints upper and lower. My car isn't a handling car though.

Everything I did was based on the information in ^^^^^ his thread

The 5658 are the springs for the back? Just looking to do the back right now. And where do I find the 5658at? Are they moog springs? And thank you for being honest and trying to save me money!

5658's are the front brother. You can get them at your parts store for $75.

ohhh just the backs. I use some 3rd gen WS6 rear springs in mine. I also have a set of non variable rate duralast replacements that are supposedly similar in performance. I'm using the VERY cheap option right now (free from a buddy)

Qa1 coil overs and shocks for the street? or should i just get new springs and bilstein shocks and air bags? it is a street car and sees track 1 or 2 a year. i just want to do it right once.
"Is it overkill for the street?" That all depends on you and what you want. There are Many advantages a good coil over shock has over a regular shock/coil spring system. To me it boils down to Preference whether it's just a street car or not...

Ask yourself these questions

*Do I want Ride height adjustability?
*Do I want the Ability to adjust Compression?
*Do I want the Ability to adjust Rebound?
*Do I want the ability to adjust my shocks for street ride quality, drag racing, and handling out of the same shock?

If you answered yes to any of those then coil-overs are will work great for you!

Thanks you made me.make up my mind. I like to have control of my height and ride. Looks like I will save and get the coil overs

Back