Is my EBAY turbo broken????

87owner

Just got it out of the box. The shaft has zero end play side to side, but both wheels have lateral play. Its like the shaft is loose in there but somehow has no endplay. It seems like the exhaust wheel could hit the inside of the housing, but there are no scratches. The boost side is not as bad. I have never had turbo in my hand before. It was sold as a low mileage well working piece. Should I be pissed or is this normal?

turbo

i'm not a turbo guru but i have a stock gn turbo with appox 30k on it and i have no side to side but i have a good bit of movement up and down....i think the side to side is the bad but up and down isn't...i had my stock turbo at 26psi and haven't had a problem...i wouldn't sell it to somebody but i wouldn't hesitate to put it on...............................................................Bob

Some up/down play is normal. If it's excessive, you'll see the scratches on the inside of the compressor housing. It would definitely leave a mark spinning at tens of thousands of rpm's.

sweet!!!....like i said no scratches. I was worried for a while. After looking at it again...it moves but the blades look like they couldnt hit.

Some side to side play is acceptable---John Craig told me no more than .020-.025. No in/out play is acceptable. HTH, Brian

well its more than that for sure. But this piece looks like brand new. Its a TE60, with a 63 garrett exhaust housing. I have no problem running it this way I guess, but it was an ebay auction, not sure if I need to mention it to the guy or not. It will probably end up being someone on this board anyway.

Sounds perfectly normal to me. Remember if the bearings are dry (ie. no oil there is much more endplay). Drew