You can type here any text you want

Is my T Type a 109 block?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

montecarlofast

740 ftlb Rocket Couch
So ive been hearing conflicting stuff about the internals of my 85 T Type. some are telling me if it has more than 14 bolts on the oil pan then its a 109, some are telling me that if the pan doesn't come to a point at the bottom then its not. please help me sort this confusion. thanks

14 bolt not a 109.or you can find the # on the block last 3 #s identify it.

I know for a fact it has at least 18 to 20 (couldn't get far ennough under the car to count every one.

bolts

Mid 85 ( or some where along there)Buick went to a 20 bolt pan--last 3 # 140--Definately not a 109 nor is it cast like a 109. The 140 has the head bolt hole threads going all the way to the top of deck unlike a 109 that has the first few threads receased. The 140 is also still cast like the earlier blocks in the lifter area. The 140 does take the same cam bearing as a 109, being that the front and rear are .020 larger in OD. than the earlier ones which use the same OD dia. in all 4.

So what is the story on the 140 blocks? are they junk?
I wouldn't say they are junk, but they are weaker than the 109's! The lifter galley is really different due to the raw casting left in it. On the 109's that was completly re-done and looks and works much better not to mention it's stronger.

There was some other modifications done to the 109's that buick realized needed to be done.

Scot W.

So what is the story on the 140 blocks? are they junk?

They are just as good as any other production block. They are all equally weak and fail in the main webbing. Not the lifter area. Therefore a 109 isnt any stronger regardless of what scot w. has posted. If we start seeing blocks failing in the lifter area he may be onto something though:rolleyes: . I would have no problem running any early block from 83 up instead of a 109. Only problem would be having to buy another girdle if you had a 14 bolt block. The 140 is a 20 bolt though and has a slightly taller deck than the 109. My stage 2 is cast like an early block in the lifter area and id bet my balls its much stronger than any production block. Based on scot w's post im a little nervous to run my stage 2 and might just scrap it and look for a 109.

NOT!

They are just as good as any other production block. They are all equally weak and fail in the main webbing. Not the lifter area. Therefore a 109 isnt any stronger regardless of what scot w. has posted. If we start seeing blocks failing in the lifter area he may be onto something though:rolleyes: . I would have no problem running any early block from 83 up instead of a 109. Only problem would be having to buy another girdle if you had a 14 bolt block. The 140 is a 20 bolt though and has a slightly taller deck than the 109. My stage 2 is cast like an early block in the lifter area and id bet my balls its much stronger than any production block. Based on scot w's post im a little nervous to run my stage 2 and might just scrap it and look for a 109.

NOT!
WOW! Bison alittle harsh today? What I was getting at is if you look at the cast webbing in the lifter galley of a hot air block the holes (oil passage area) is Much larger than the 109 blocks where. On the 109's they filled it in and machined nice holes for the (oil passage area) which would naturally make it stronger there wether or not there ever has been a problem there or not! :rolleyes: ALSO the oil drainback for the turbo was also added to the 109's.
Regaurdless of what bison has posted ask yourself "Why does everyone prefer the 109" over the 104" ??? :)

Yes, Scrap that stage block! :biggrin:

Back