You can type here any text you want

Is our gas tank special?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

postal

Peoples champ runner up
Looks like I'm going to run an Aeromotive external pump (Jack Cotton is recomending the big 900hp one). So I'm going to sump my tank. Should I try to find a tank out of a regular Firebird to sump or should I just sump my stock tank?

TIA: Jason

Its supposedly a 1LE gas tank with baffles to keep the gas near the pump and a moving fuel pickup... although Ive heard many reports of people pulling their tanks and this not being the case. I would assume a good number of cars did NOT have the correct tank from the factory...

They were suppossed to be but didnt happen.

I've heard a lot of guys run the (Red Armstrong)_twin pumps on the factory hanger. Check with Robert Crissafulli, and George. They both have done tons of R&D on the fuel system. The lines themselves are adequate.

Jason, I know the way you think..your thinking if you have to take down that sumbiotch tank, you might as well put something killer. A lot of times less is more. This may be one of those. A walbro 340 will probably get the job done rather efficiently..sorry that the one inside the tank is giving you fits. But all the plumbing and sump problems that can happen..

If it was a stage motor..you were going to run 9's..then new lines,cell,pump,etc.. would be the e-ticket. For a high ten sec car..especially a TTA running a 109 block, the 340 will suffice. At least to the mid 120's

i sumped the stock tank all you realy need is 2 steel 3/8 pipe bushings and have them welded on the bottom back edge of the tank

george

I'm really starting to think that the biggest part of my problem is that my 340 is going bad. Because the last time I took the car out on the street it was getting worse even though I installed a volt booster. This damn 340 doesnt even have a 1000 miles on it. A 255L/hr pump (walbro 340) should be big enough for what I got. I think I'm going to drop the tank, sump it, throw that p.o.s 340 in the trash, turn the stock pick up into a return, then bolt that p.i.t.a tank back in and be done with it.

BTW: I already have most of the stuff I need. I starting putting a fuel system together for a GN I used to own. I have a all modified up fuel rail with -10 fitting, -10 racing fuel filter, bunch of -10 line and fittings. I rotated the fp reg 90 degrees and have it set up with a -8 outlet. All I really need to finish it off is to buy some -8 return line, the pump, and a few fittings.

Thanks for the inputs: Jason

Not to continue to add confusion but I "thought" we were suposed to have a smaller capacity baffled tank. I know mine has baffles and it rather small, like I have to force in 12 gal when empty. Along with that a specific hanger. I had a gauge problem so I went hunting for a hanger in case it was the sender. Specific to the car is what all the parts guys told me including a father of a buddy of mind who was kind enought to really look hard.

Jason, If it were me I would get a tank from a yard, mod it, and keep the origional. That is, however, just me.

Brent

sounds like a ground issue to me. ive seen mercedes sedans that will spark the positive cable even with the ground disconnected. but thats another story. some crazy hermaphrodite bought that pos.

remember, the fastest cars have sumped tanks with the lines blocked.

love always,

THE PEOPLE'S CHAMPION

It was the ground. It would peg full which is "open". When I eventually got under the car to pull the tank for a pump swap I found it at the wiring harness junction in short order.

Brent

Stock fuel rail and lines good into the low 10's at least.

Jason, Walbro may be a good pump, but they are not perfect. Sorry you got a bum one. Again sometimes less is more..these cars will show you that certain mods yield zero performance increases..

Dunno if you've considered using a pusher pump located where the fuel filter is at. That may be another idea to throw around. remember its EFI not a carburator. The higher pressure makes up a lot for fuel line size..

As far as our tank capacity, its like 16-17 gallons. There is still at least 5 gallons when the needle hits "E". I have drained my tank at the track with the needle on E and pulled out close to 5 gallons..

Maybe on one of your runs the tank was low and you ran the pump dry possibly hurting it???

yes razor you are correct. stock lines will run into the low tens.

but....

thats with a double pumper.

a single 340 will get you very close with -8 line.

15 feet of line with the fittings costs much less than a double pumper

or....

when you upgrade your lines, you can run two pumps all the time and never have to worry about the second one not coming on.

jason, get the external and forever forget about your fuel system.

surej

Hey Jason, if you still have my # call me, I talked to you about that short block before. I just put an LS1 tank in the wifes TTA, and they are easy to Sump. If you don't have the #, E-mail me. .......Jason

Back