Is there something wrong with the TE62?

Adrian87

I have one on my car and although I haven't been able to crank it up yet, I really like the way it feels. It feels better than my TA49 did and that's with the stock stall, only had it to 8psi so far though. Anyway my question is that I don't see many people run this turbo at all and have heard that it may not be reliable at all, but it seems like a nice unit. I have a 3200 9X11 that will be here in a couple days so I could go bigger if I needed to..

I had a TA62 on my car for a while with 3200 stall Protorque lockup.

It was fine. You can't tell much at 8 psi. ;)

Made a ton of air noise however and part throttle noises.

Always felt like the blades were gonna explode off the thing. :D

But of course they didn't.

It's my spare now. :)

In the old days when they first made them a lot of oil contamination got out and ruined a bunch of them I think which gave them a bad reputation.

If I am not mistaken, they got a bad rap beacuase of failure due to being a small shaft turbo.

Got in on last months special and got it at $620 shipped! Not bad :)

Wild6--what is your combo?

009s,te-62, 3" downpipe,artcar 9"nonlockup TC, cas v2. 3.5"maf. 28psi of Boost.
I now have a 9-11 3200, TC from pts.
Have not been to the track yet.

You're not running lean running 28 psi with those injectors and that turbo? Why I ask is because I have 009s and a TE-63-1 and people tell me to watch my boost with those small injectors and the bigger turbo. I don't plan to run more than 20 psi with @20 degrees of timing anyways so I'm sure I'll be fine.

Yes, I want to say that they were max out, but the C-16 helps, no knock.
I'll be ading a 7th only when visiting the track, because my heads are going to be ported.
20psi you should be ok with race fuel, but if you have ported heads and so on, then i would not even try it.

If my car would see the track more than 1 or 2 times a year than 50s would be my choice.

Well, mine will be a street only car. I don't see any track action for it....for now. I run a single nozzle alky kit to run the 20 psi. I have a Walbro 307 with a K-B boost-a-pump to up the output a little. So far I've run @21 psi with my ole TE-60, the 009s, 5 gallons of Xylene to a full tank of 93, no alky, and forgot to even adjust the boost-a-pump to compensate. I still ran a little rich so I feel I may have enough to run 20 psi with the bigger turbo and alky. At the time my engine was stock and had 160,000+ on it. Now it will have a cam, ported heads with bigger valves, bigger turbo and alky. This extra airflow is why I'm shooting at only 20 psi for street duty. I'll also switch out my race chip for my street chip...30 degrees timing versus 20.

The te-60 would have a better spoolup and with heads low 11s to high 10s (the limit of the 009s).

You should be ok with the alky,@ 20psi.

Originally posted by WILD6
The te-60 would have a better spoolup and with heads low 11s to high 10s (the limit of the 009s).

You should be ok with the alky,@ 20psi.
I already sold the TE-60. I had to get back some of the cost of buying the TE-63-1.:cool: I'm kind of glad the 63 will be a slower spooler due to the lack of traction if it spooled right up. When I do get the convertor I most likely will get tires at the same time.