You can type here any text you want

issue with smoking?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

John S

well my truck is finally running, truck is pretty out of tune but the issue im having is it seems to be smoking, is there anyway to see if its cause its running rich, needs rings, or the turbo needs new seals, the motor supposedly has 5K on it, and the turbo is brand new, at idle it doesnt smoke much, but if you rev it up to 3000 RPM it starts smoking, but it smokes worse when you release the throttle after holding it there for a bit, i was planning on havin the truck tuned soon, but i dont wanna waste my money if i have more serious issues

thanks John S

What color is the smoke?
I am assuming it's smoking out the exhaust, and not anywhere else. and assuming it's an oil based smoke.
How long have you owned it? how far have you drivin it? have you watched the oil level? You say the turbo is new, Can you remove the compressor outlet pipe, or any piping leading to the intake, and exhaust pipe? if you can check to see if there is any oil in the down pipe, and do the same for the compressor side, I don't know what kind of turbo you have, but many that use a Carbon seal on the compressor side, can crack that very easy when installing it. if nothing there, Pull valve covers off Check valve stem seals, perhaps they are missing or just not the correct kind. Personally I am willing to bet Rings are not/have not seated correctly, have you done a compression test? try testing it as is, then pour some oil in there and see if there is much of a rise in pressure. if so, then it's probabily your rings. Try driving it up to about 50mph or so and then drop it into second or "low gear" and let the engine wind down hard. Do this a couple times. "This helps seat the rings if they are not properly seated."

Do you know what kind of pistons/Rings you are using? who did the work on rebuilding it? can you find what kind of ring gap was used?

Leak down showed less than 8% in all cylinders and that was stone cold, the smoke is blueish but very transparent also, i tried to tuning it slightly but with no luck cause i think the 02 is picking up the smoke and causing it to go rich, anyway i noticed today that under the dahsboard in the FAST program that is said "code 132" anyone know what this means? im gonna pull the springs off and check the guides and seals, if those check out okay then im spent, the turbo is brand new and the motor has 5k on it

thanks for your reply
John S

The "code" sensor in the FAST dash doesn't really offer any useful info for users. More of an internal piece of info for continuing development efforts.

It sounds to me as if the oil in your turbo isn't draining back to the pan well enough.

i have a #6 an for a supply and a #10 for a return, there is slight slight oil on the plugs from what i can tell, but like i said, its hard to tell cause the truck is running so rich

thanks John S

Back