You can type here any text you want

JB Weld ???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

strikeeagle

Has somebody come up with a better way to install the nozzle on the SMC kit. I hate the idea of using JB Weld. Can't it be made to work with a bung of some sort, even if it implies a different kind of nozzle?

Thanks.

:D

You could weld on a bung from Caroll's Supercharging and one of their heating oil jets....I know they spray better than a nos nozzle but I am not sure how they compare to the SMC jets...the bung is kinda larger...

Maybe get someone to make a smaller one? Should be an easy task. Or....get a "button" made to replace the inner washer so that it would afford a better seal and use the the supplied jet?

you can also build up the space with washers. they make for a real tight seal.

Originally posted by strikeeagle
Has somebody come up with a better way to install the nozzle on the SMC kit. I hate the idea of using JB Weld

I thought the exact same thing. In fact, for such a professionally constructed kit I was amazed that that method was suggested.

What I did instead was to take a nylon washer which was just slightly too small for the jet and fitting to go through....I filed it until I was able to thread the washer over the fitting. It fit like a glove and hopefully will seal.

So when the lack of tension from the nylon washer allows the nozzle to unscrew, we shall have some fun talking about the nut that got loose behind your steering wheel!?

Originally posted by Steve Wood
So when the lack of tension from the nylon washer allows the nozzle to unscrew, we shall have some fun talking about the nut that got loose behind your steering wheel!?

The opposite. Without the nylon washer there was slop. With the washer it was tight.

But if you like JB Weld...more power to ya.

I don't understand.... I installed a single nozzle setup on my sons pipe and had no problem with the nozzle being loose. i used a single washer on the inside of the pipe and the fitting tightend up just fine. the washer bent to conform with the inner wall . i had plenty of thread left before it would bottom out. i did put a little jb weld around fitting anyway, but it wasn't really necessary.:confused:

Originally posted by turch
I don't understand.... I installed a single nozzle setup on my sons pipe and had no problem with the nozzle being loose.

Before I mounted mine I assembled the nozzle and fitting and because the gap "looked" bigger than the thickness of the one washer supplied and the wall thickness of the uppipe I miked mine. Then I miked the supplied washer and the uppipe (as best as I could) and the gap was bigger. Since I didn't want to use JB Weld and needed something to take up my gap I opted for a nylon washer. It supplied the necessary thickness and it should seal as I made it fairly tight on the threads.

If yours ain't leaking don't worry about it.

man.... its tight.... so tight , it started to flare the brass fitting on the outside of the pipe.... no problem here....

Mine fit tight, I just put the JB weld on it to make sure it was an air tight seal.

Originally posted by strikeeagle
Has somebody come up with a better way to install the nozzle on the SMC kit. I hate the idea of using JB Weld. Can't it be made to work with a bung of some sort, even if it implies a different kind of nozzle?

Thanks.

Why do you hate the idea of useing JB Weld??? Just curious as I have had my system on for over a year running STRAIGHT denatured alky with "0" problems. You can mold JB like playdo so if done correctly you can barely see it under the up pipe. :D

Well, Cairns is obviously a crochety ol' fart that cannot follow instructions.

It's really simple when you know the players. :)

I don't have an alchy kit installed, but back when I was torturing myself with a seventh injecter setup, I used an NOS fan spray nozzle. What I did was get a 1/8th NPT nipple, dilled the uppipe for the nipple and tapped it with a 1/8th NPT-27 tap. Screwed the nipple to temporarily hold the nipple in the up pipe. Used a MIG welder to weld the nipple to the pipe. I the trimmed the nipple on the in side and out side of the uppipe to size, and gound the inside smooth. The inside diameter of the nipple was just the right size to tape with a 1/16th-27 tap, wich is the correct size for the fan spay nozzle. For the fan spay nozzle, this setup was bullet proof, and is what I will use if i ever get around to doing an alchy setup. I have finally ponied up for the right size injectors, so i have since removed the seventh injector.

Bruce

Any more good ideas on this?

Did the nylon washer stay as a viable solution?

Any worries about difficulties with un-JBwelding the nozzles?

thanks! More beginner posts to follow as I continue my way through the archives!

Scott

Back