You can type here any text you want

Jeep Steering Shaft Bolts

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Heg87t

Slightly Compressed User
Hey Guys,

Went to install my Jeep lower steering shaft last night and found my E-bay deal didn't include the bolts needed. :mad:

Does anyone know the Jeep part numbers for the bolts? I am inclined to use a regular bolt on the upper end that clamps to the column stub but on the lower box end I would like to get the right shoulder bolt that hooks into the groove cut in the splines.

What have others done that installed this shaft?? :confused:

Oh and by the way, was your steering wheel straight after the install or rotated a little bit?

I didn't see anything that shows what you are working on?
Year, model, stock shaft, stock box...etc. I'm sure that would make a difference.

Sorry, I am putting a stock '87 - 95 jeep shaft on my '87 Regal T. Thought it was faily common swap to get rid of the rag joint. The jeep shaft has real universal joints on it.
Steering box and column are stock.

Hey Guys,..................What have others done that installed this shaft?? :confused:

Oh and by the way, was your steering wheel straight after the install or rotated a little bit?

To install the bolt next to the firewall, you will need to notch the steering shaft. The stock bolt goes through a hole in the shaft, the Jeep bolt clamps the shaft and is retained in place by the notch, or groove you must grind in the shaft.

A grade 5 or 8 bolt with a lock nut will work there. :)

The lower bolt is special like you said, and I may have one not installed to get you info about it.

Yes, the wheel should be in the place where you started.

Ive pulled shafts and also taken extra bolts on the bad ones I don't use. I can only find one extra I can send you. Give me an address and I will send it in an envelope

Back