You can type here any text you want

Just can't get rid of turbo surge

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GBGN1

stroked
My set up is in the sig. Changed to an external pipe, hks wastegate and a hand held turbonetics black knob boost controller. I was thinking it would help and it hasn't. Heres an old video
I found on here . www.youtube.com/watch?v=RICMOq5w9s
Flutters/ surges about 16-22 lbs of boost. Cannot drive through it. Car needs to be dynoed but I dont think this is a tune issue.

links not working-

Last edited:
A Tornado inserted into the pipe right before the turbo inlet has been known to help. The Tornado being the air spinning thing that is supposed to improve fuel mileage or some such claim.

RemoveBeforeFlight

How much air filter do you have? Have you tried taking it off????? I hope you have at least 14" and a hard inlet pipe. If not, take it off and see if there's a difference.. also look to see if your filter is collapsed.

Rjc hard inlet pipe and k&n 4 inch filter. Running sd so maybe I'll try taking the pipe off but don't think it will help

post up some pics of your setup. Im not sure about the power i was making but I tried running a pt70 with both a garrett 63 and 82 turbine housing and i got surge at about that level of boost. was way worse with the 63. I changed my setup to dumping the wastegate to atmosphere, put a really light 14 psi spring in the gate, and put boost to the top of the wastegate , turned the knob to about 26 psi , went back to the .82 and the issue is completely gone . was running through the exhaust also no cutout. I had a crappy routing of the wastegate back into the downpipe which seemed to be creating more turbulance behind the turbo. i had a 20 psi spring before which could have been causing issues when it opened along with the turbulance.

This should have been my first post. Can you lock the wastegate out and see what happens about regulating the boost with just your throttle/foot? Where is your regulator mounted? If it's in the car, try to move it very close to your wastegate setups eliminate the length of tubing?

Run the boost line directly to the bottom port of the wastegate and see what she does.

Rick

Thanks for all of the responses ! I'll get on it later today. Rick you remember what spring is in the wastegate ? This is doing the same as my internal dp did .Had this turbo on the stock long block and never surged. now with the stroker motor - nothing but surging.

Last edited:
post up some pics of your setup. Im not sure about the power i was making but I tried running a pt70 with both a garrett 63 and 82 turbine housing and i got surge at about that level of boost. was way worse with the 63. I changed my setup to dumping the wastegate to atmosphere, put a really light 14 psi spring in the gate, and put boost to the top of the wastegate , turned the knob to about 26 psi , went back to the .82 and the issue is completely gone . was running through the exhaust also no cutout. I had a crappy routing of the wastegate back into the downpipe which seemed to be creating more turbulance behind the turbo. i had a 20 psi spring before which could have been causing issues when it opened along with the turbulance.
Thanks for the info!

This should have been my first post. Can you lock the wastegate out and see what happens about regulating the boost with just your throttle/foot? Where is your regulator mounted? If it's in the car, try to move it very close to your wastegate setups eliminate the length of tubing?
Yes I have the controller in the car- ill mount it next to turbo and see- thx

I want to say 15-16. If you put the boost line direct to the bottom port, (eliminate boost control for now) that will open the gate at what ever the spring pressure is. That would be the lowest boost you can run.

Are you wot when it surges??

Rick

No not at wot . Surges way too much .Just getting into boost. When I boost ramps up it surges.

No not at wot . Surges way too much .Just getting into boost. When I boost ramps up it surges.
Run a larger turbine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ex housing needs to be recontoured and the compressor rebalanced with the new turbine. The way I read your post your experiences surge at part throttle? You need to slow down the shaft speed to reduce it.

Yes Bison, that is what's going on. Is there anything I can do with the wastegate to compensate this problem? I've seen Others with similar builds - same turbo-that had no problem with surge. I guess I just don't understand why my car is giving me the results.?
I thought it was a matched build.
Anyway what would you charge me to fix the turbo.? Will the mods help with performance? Thanx

You're getting surge because of unstable airflow. The compressor is trying to move air and it can't. If you were to put a pressure gauge in front of the throttle body you would see a higher than manifold pressure reading that's above the surge line for your compressor. Trying to run a small turbine with certain compressors will surge. PM if you want to possibly make a change. Posting prices in the tech forums is forbidden.

Ttt, still battling this. I've got complete control of boost. Base is 12lb. Compressor to base of gate. Doesn't matter if I control at turbo or in the car with my turbonetics hand controller. Cannt drive through it. 1/2 throttle to full. Surges. Might try my 6262 to see if that helps.

Ok I have an update on my we4. I changed turbos (6262) And It it had the same problem. So I stwitched back to my T70bb. I didnt install the RJC 4 inch air pipe. took it for a drive and to my surprise the 95% of surge went away. Pushed through it no problem. Starting to think maybe a tornado might help? Give me some idea's boys!

Back