Just killed a VIPER!!!!

TNTTA

Snake Killer
WOOOO........HOOOOOOO.. Just put the smack on a new RT/10 VIPER.Car still had the dealer tags on it.I was minding my own business cruising home from washing the car today.When all of a sudden there was a yellow speck in the rear view.:D Well low and behold it comes right up beside me and slows down.Guy has the top out looks over and steps on the gas.This only lasts for a sec.then he brakes,way too much traffic at this point.So I pass my turn off and keep following him till were near the other side of town.Just as we pass Bristol Motor Speedway its on.He's right in front of me when he gets on so do I.Oh **** here comes a car all the way across 4 lanes right smack in front of us(old lady).He slams on the brakes and so do I almost plowing into the back of his car.After the big bang we went about another mile and the road cleared up.But instead of letting me in beside of him he hits the gas again (approx.50mph)This time I'm a little further back when he does this I nail it and to my amazement I was gaining ground not much but enough I was getting ready to pull out and go for the pass and he lets off.Tricked me he hits it again briefly and lets out again.This time I pull beside him and I ask him if he was from around here.He replied yes he was from Elizabethton(a town about 20mi up the road).I said lets go again he agreed and stepped into the gas again getting a nose before the turbo spooled 21psi.When I got the car spooled I pulled about a car in front of him.Running out of drive to O/D he comes to my door wound tight and shifts falling to my bumper running up to 130 or so I let out he goes by and lets out.We ride a little farther giving the thumbs up and go our seperate ways.:cool:
Although i run harder to 130 or so he probably would have passed me if we were to go much faster.:(I believe there would have been no competition from a dead start though.
WES

Awesome kill!!!

I would be pretty pissed if I spend $80,000 for what I thought was the most badass car and got beat by a V6 Firebird!!!:D As far as racing the the Clownshoe (Viper) from a stop as u mentioned it would of been a lot worse cause your car is capable of 1.6 60ft times with DRs and his would of spun all over the place... Keep killing those snakes;)

nice kill

Vipers are fast but for 80,000 i think i could make my buick get in the 12's one day:D 488 cubes right? Almost twice the cubes we have. Turbos are great aren't they??;)

wow my buddy's 97 gts has been 11:80@123 all stock other than k&n filtrs and manifold back ext system. still on the factory tires..
:)

Wen't to the viper site there times run anywhere from 11.7-12.6 in stock form.There MPH is anywhere from 113-121.My posted times where in warm humid weather.The day we raced it was in the 50's and low humidity.Also the altitude here is 1400' or so which would hurt the viper being a N/A car.So to say all that he may not have been speed shifting but he was turning the car pretty hard.I've only seen one viper run at the local track and the best run was a 12.8 @111.Like I said if we had run longer or could have he would have probably won this race.:cool:

hope it wont taken wrong ..

i know they vary big time like our cars do also.

my buddys car is the fastest stock viper i've seen.

Viper

I've seen quite a few run down here at Moroso and the best I've ever seen a completely stock Viper run was a 12.1 @119mph... The last time I was at the track there was a bone stock 97 GTS that ran a best of 12.5 @115mph and I talked to the guy and he said that Vipers are very hard to launch with the 6spd and all that torque (490ft-lbs), so I definitely think it is a valid kill even if the guy was a good driver:cool:

86brick,where do you live in FL.I lived in palm beach gardens in late 80's early 90's.Went to morosso a few times just as a spectator.Really missin the beach.Probably still nice weather down there.Send some of it back!:D

TNTTA

I live in the Tampa area which is why I don't make many trips to Moroso, but I might be moving to Boca Raton within a couple of years if all goes right... Yeah the weather is pretty nice and I do love the beach (hope I'm not making u jealous), but I wouldn't mind living in Bristol with that great track and the Buicks at Bristol events... Maybe u could send me some of the 8 and 7 second TRs down here and I could send u some nice sunny weather... Sounds like a good deal to me!!!:D

Re: Viper

Originally posted by 86brick
I've seen quite a few run down here at Moroso and the best I've ever seen a completely stock Viper run was a 12.1 @119mph... The last time I was at the track there was a bone stock 97 GTS that ran a best of 12.5 @115mph and I talked to the guy and he said that Vipers are very hard to launch with the 6spd and all that torque (490ft-lbs), so I definitely think it is a valid kill even if the guy was a good driver:cool:

yea i agree with them times but really depends on driver my buddy has many years of racing behind him.

bone bone stock the car went 12:0's at 118
then with just k&n's it went 11:90's at 119-120
then with the ext. it went to 11:80's best of an 80 flat and 123 mph
of course it takes a good preped track and a carefull clutch foot and the 11:80 is as fast as the stock clutch wants to take it.

I agree

The driver makes all the difference with those cars cause a while back Evan Smith, who is just about the best test car driver, got a completely bone stock Viper to run an 11.77 in cool weather... Also, in the latest issue of GMHTP he got a 2001 ZO6 to run a 12.47 @112mph and a 98 Viper to run a best of 11.98 @117mph in very hot weather without power shifting the Viper:eek: I would say though that the average driver would probably get a bone stock Viper to run anywhere from a 12.6 to a 12.3 with 113 to 116mph from what I've seen most run these times at the track.:)