You can type here any text you want

K motion 750 valve spring question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

434nova

What does the inner damper on this valve spring do ? Does it effect valve seat pressure or is it only there for stability? A buddy of mine is telling me it it doesn't effect seat pressure. Thanks

the inner flat spiral is there solely for vibration dampening to prevent the spring from oscillating which can lead to bouncing and prematurely weaken a spring

What could cause all the inners on my valve springs to break? I have just replaced them with pac 1201 springs and gonna see how that's gonna works out.

As mentioned check for coil bind at peak lift. On inners as well. Min clearance is .050

What does the inner damper on this valve spring do ? Does it effect valve seat pressure or is it only there for stability? A buddy of mine is telling me it it doesn't effect seat pressure. Thanks
Think of it this way, your valve springs are the "suspension" of your valve-train...... And just like the springs that hold your GN up use shock absorbers to control and dampen the bouncing.....your valve spring needs something to dampen or control the springs natural tendency to vibrate or bounce...... The damper you asked about provides this by causing mechanical friction to calm the spring down..... Stock turbo buicks use a "bucket" on the outside of the spring to accomplish this........ And yes your friend is wrong the inner damper adds a small amount of spring pressure but its true intent is to dampen...... I have seen inner spring dampers break many times even when there is no coil bind, more so on dual spring setups that use a damper... I am not a big fan of springs with dampers because of this..... But if your running a single spring you need something in there to dampen....And if you are using titanium or aluminum retainers the damper will act like a carving tool and chew up your hi-dollar retainers........dual spring set-ups use springs with different vibration frequencies that cancel one another out to calm the spring bounce down....... Check out this video.....pretty much sums it up.

Back