Key in Ignition Reminder Switch

RT87

Had to disassemble the steering column for another issue and could not figure how to reinstall the key reminder switch and retainer properly. Any tips?

???

recently I just had my whole column apart trying to replace a cruise arm..yea I know DUH!!! figured out it just pulls right out and pops back in after I dissasembled the whole thing...including fabricating a tool to remove the retaining ring. But my stupidity can be your gain lol....

I don't remember anything in the ignition switch assembly that could be put in incorrectly. If I remember correctly that was the one part that could only go in one way. But if you refresh my memory a bit on the parts that are giving you trouble I might be able to help....

The key reminder switch is a small square plastic piece with a couple of contacts that face 11:00. It is held in place in a square hole just below the ignition lock cylinder with a metal retainer. I am not sure how the switch and retainer go together or if there is special position for the ignition lock cylinder to be in for installation of the switch. I do not want to force the switch if something is not properly in place

oh yea

I do remember this, it is a thin metal thing that acts like a spring, I had some trouble trying to figure out wether it should be long side up or down..I'm pretty sure it was long side down....take a pic of the parts attach the pic here and I can tell you how I put it in.....I do remember playing with that thing scratching my head....it really only fits one way but I messed with it enough that now my buzzer only goes off if I push a bit on the key, if I just let the key hang it doesn't have enough tension anymore to set off the buzzer. I would have pulled it back apart but I like it that way. This is like a 3 or 2 piece assembly if I remember correctly.

The pieces are shown in picture 14 of column wobble.htm. The basic question is how does the spring mate to the switch and does it simply press firmly in?

This pic is more accurate, it just sort of pushes in. My dilemma was which way the spring clip went in. This is a good pic that would have saved me a ton of grief.....

Attachments

• buzzer switch.jpg
    buzzer switch.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 73