You can type here any text you want

killed a cobra (blew head gasket in process)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ramon6795

I was driving my car to get color sanded.So i decided to stop at my father-in-laws house since it was on the way.this guy with a 97 cobra was passing buy then he seen my car so he put his car in reverse and quickly came back. got off and started to talk to me ,asking a lot of questions,so to make a long story short ,i told him i had to go, so he followed me keep in mind my in-laws house is out in the country great big lonely roads.so i make a left on the first street so he quickly came on the side of me so i knew what he wanted (a good spanking)i could hear him shifting hard so i let him have it so i put the pedal to medal so i just took off in front of him after about a 1/4 mile i had him by a least 6 cars i was going 120 i was thinking of letting off the gas.but then i thought i got to spank him good so next time he dont try that again. and thats when my head hasket blew but it was worth it. so i pulled over then he pass me then he turn back ,the first thing that came out of his mouth is that thing is way to fast ,then he ask, whats wrong but i didnt want him to know i blew my gasket so i told him notthing was wrong once he took off i cruise it to my friend smoking like crazy.by the way i was running 20# boost ,

no alky was full and spraying,that engine been rebuild by the previous owner and they re use the same head bolts,so i think that was the problem.

no alky was full and spraying,that engine been rebuild by the previous owner and they re use the same head bolts,so i think that was the problem.

Na, Head bolts Schmed bolts, heck just run down to Lowes in the hardware section and grab some more.:biggrin::eek:

Good job on the run!

Use some ARP head studs for the rebuilt and cometic head gaskets, just retorque after install and you wont blow a HG again at least for a very long time.. I had them in my car and was running 22psi with many more mods than you and never had an issue, also remember to tune the car for 790 to 800 02's just to be on the safe side. adjust the Turbo tweak chip with a little more fuel on top end, I bet you were lean as hell and that is why your head gasket went. ;)

Time to put some good stuff make it faster never ends.

Ported heads
head studs
good head gaskets
rocker shaft supports
or heavy duty shafts

this is my cousin ramon and yes he bought the car with a rebuilt engine but who ever did the engine reused the stock head bolts :confused: anyways thats the way to lay the smack down and the "mudstains"......look at the bright side its time to step it up a bit.....ported heads/upgraded cam/good head gaskets/head studs and let the beatings continue meanchicken style!!!!! :biggrin:

this is my cousin ramon and yes he bought the car with a rebuilt engine but who ever did the engine reused the stock head bolts :confused: anyways thats the way to lay the smack down and the "mudstains"......look at the bright side its time to step it up a bit.....ported heads/upgraded cam/good head gaskets/head studs and let the beatings continue meanchicken style!!!!! :biggrin:

I'm curious now...How does one determine that the bolts were re-used?

Uh-greed!!!!

Let me make this very clear!!! :mad: You can't just go "Meanchicken style" with out the proper classes! :D

Complements of Lou Czarnota YouTube - chicken dance

Like I said in the other thread...
I can't believe that video is still around after all these years.
Damned papparazzi!

That dance takes skillz...one just can't do it right without the lights, disco ball and lazers.....and gotsta have my back up singers too...
Also helps to listen to the Bee Gee's greatest hits before I go out on stage...gets me in the zone...:biggrin:

I'm curious now...How does one determine that the bolts were re-used?

you are right we dont know for a fact that they were re used there is the possibilty that they bought new GM tty bolts......:confused: ramon is tearing it down right now iam shure he will keep us posted on what head gaskets were in there and if all else is good:biggrin:

Well took the car apart today here are some pictures

Attachments

• DSCN2732.jpg
    DSCN2732.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 406
  • DSCN2736.jpg
    DSCN2736.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 410
  • DSCN2737.jpg
    DSCN2737.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 417
  • DSCN2733.jpg
    DSCN2733.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 411
  • DSCN2735.jpg
    DSCN2735.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 412

Problem is when you hang your foot into it for longer than it takes to put your opponent down everything starts getting hot & expanding. All the more reason to run a larger intercooler & at least synthetic oil if not a larger pan to hold more capacity & keep the oil cooler. The stock head gaskets with a good set of bolts should tolerate 20 # boost but beyond that you're on borrowed time.Certainly cosmetics are a better choice. Of course the tune is also important,on alky I would say 22 degrees timing & around 790's 02 should be safe.

Problem is when you hang your foot into it for longer than it takes to put your opponent down everything starts getting hot & expanding. All the more reason to run a larger intercooler & at least synthetic oil if not a larger pan to hold more capacity & keep the oil cooler. The stock head gaskets with a good set of bolts should tolerate 20 # boost but beyond that you're on borrowed time.Certainly cosmetics are a better choice. Of course the tune is also important,on alky I would say 22 degrees timing & around 790's 02 should be safe.

Sorry to hijack, but if I may...... please correct me if I'm wrong Lou (or anyone else), but as long as the engine is kept out of detonation, what does it matter how high the boost is??

25# and no detonation VS 14# and detonating... won't it let go at 14# knocking just as fast as if it were knocking at 25#??

Going lean for some reason & detonating is what took out the gasket, right?

Back