You can type here any text you want

killed a cobra (blew head gasket in process)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sorry to hijack, but if I may...... please correct me if I'm wrong Lou (or anyone else), but as long as the engine is kept out of detonation, what does it matter how high the boost is??

25# and no detonation VS 14# and detonating... won't it let go at 14# knocking just as fast as if it were knocking at 25#??

Going lean for some reason & detonating is what took out the gasket, right?

Thats easy ! 25# boost you might have 30-1 compression ratio in the cly. How much can 8 skinny head bolts hold before the head lifts & blows the gasket. I would imagine 14 # & detonating gives you the same results.Now stop & think of how much distortion & hell is going on in that thin wall cast block under those conditions.

lou were you not correcting you young aprentice AL on his spelling?
Yeah that's exactly what happened .LOL ! I was teaching AL how to use spell check & wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. I blame AL for that one. ( blush )

won't it let go at 14# knocking just as fast as if it were knocking at 25#??

No. It will tolerate a lot of detonation at near stock levels. Cars were often ran for years in the grenade mode and still the head gaskets were fine when removed. If you are detonating at 25 psi you would be lucky to have head gasket failure.

nuttin wong wit mi spling stewpid !

Lou said: Nothing wrong with my spelling stupid.

Uh oh....Fudd Syndrom has started to set in....:eek:

No. It will tolerate a lot of detonation at near stock levels. Cars were often ran for years in the grenade mode and still the head gaskets were fine when removed. If you are detonating at 25 psi you would be lucky to have head gasket failure.

Maybe so for the head gaskets (still borrowed time, right?)...but...all that detonation at stock boost levels will still play havok on your rod bearings...
Sooner or later....they'll get spun...
Ask me how I know:D

Piston rings will pay a price too...

Back