You can type here any text you want

Killed a turbo Talon (in my Charger but hey, it has two long taillight bars a la GN)

• Thread starter Thread starter 68Mustang
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

68Mustang

I always enjoy going to Sonic with my family. Earlier tonight, we took out the Mean Blue Machine, our 1969 Charger, because the GN doesn't like 100 degree temperatures.
While sitting at Sonic, a white Eagle Talon with a "carbon fiber" hood pulled up across from me. The driver, a teenager, saw our car and immediately got out to inspect it. I still had skinnies and ET Streets on it, so he should have known not to mess with us.

My son commented that since he was more inclined to push the car, in the event of any street race, he should be the driver. I had promised him that he could drive on the way back, but told him not to go over 4000 rpm. He snickered and walked over towards the Charger, keys in hand.

The teenager, whose pants were the lowest I had seen all day, asked him if it was fast. My son laughed and asked him if his car was white. It took the kid a second or two to figure that one out. He then said something to the effect of "I just beat a Z28 out on Oracle. There's no way this old POS could outrun me."

Andrew (my son) later told me that he wondered why the kid was so cocky. I saw why when I glanced at his car again - his girlfriend was with him. Andrew looked over at the Talon, saw the girl, and did a double take. Apparently, it was an ex-girlfriend...

The the kid got pushy and said, "So, we gonna do this, or what?"

I said, "Let my wife finish her slush" and the Andrew said, "In the meantime, you'd better close that wastegate, 'cuz you're gonna need all the boost you can get." I could see that the kid wanted to be cocky in front of his girlfriend but he was starting to break down a bit. At this point, he walked back over to his car and started it up. My wife and I got in the Charger and my son got in and started it. Those dual Flowmasters leave no doubt in your mind that there is something strong under the hood of that car. The kid looked kind of sickly when he pulled out of the drive-in, my son following close behind. We drove for a few minutes until we found an open side-by-side stoplight. We were in the right lane, and our lane ended about 300 yards up the road. We'd have to push it, especially if this kids car was fast. I wasn;t sure what Talons ran, but I knew they were quick cars. When the light turned green, Andrew floored it and the car nearly stalled. So much for being a race driver - he had the car in third, not first. The Talon was across the intersection when he got it into first and dropped the hammer at 3300-3500 rpm or so. We took off screaming and were beside the talon in a jiffy. Andrew shifted to second and third smoothly and although we have no speedometer, I have no doubt that we were going 70 in a matter of seconds. My wife turned and waved as we passed the Talon. When we reached the merge, the Talon was six car lengths back - at least - and Andrew slowed to a reasonable speed. The Talon was still moving and crossed the double yellow to pass us. As he did, he gave us the finger.

So my son came up with this nifty description for the event:

Cheeseburger, 2 root beer floats, and a fruit slush: 7.98
Gas: 23.00
Humiliating your ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend: Priceless

I will have to teach him how to shift, however...

sheesh, i wish my family was that cool about racing!! my dad gets mad when i talk about it, yet he used to have a 10 second torino when he was my age so its a little hypocritical in my eyes, however i never listened to them when they would always say its fun till you get pulled over and last friday sure enough when i was simply playing around with one of my friends i smoked him and see a car fly up out of no where behind me and im thinkin "alright, this guy wants next?" he wanted next alright, and he signaled so by flipping on his lovely red and blue lights and pulling me over! what really sucked was i was about 20 seconds from my house! anyway, he was actually very nice and i think my honesty shocked him as i responded to his asking why i was going so fast with "oh, i was just racing my friend" and his partner started laughing, thank goodness they ended up letting me go with a warning! anyway, good kill! was that a talon tsi? i think thats what the awd turboed ones are...can be very quick! so yeah, you must have a killer charger! especially if your son tried to leave in third! i did that a few times when i first learned to drive stick, took me a sec to realize what was wrong...oh the memories :)

Yeah I think it was a tsi. It had all sorts of fancy letters and designations written on the side - 16V DOHC turbo all wheel drive blah blah blah....

My buddy an I were driving around in a 1st gen TSI last weekend. Man, that thing can move. We were doing 50mph around every corner and the thing held. Only problem w/ the AWD is it weights almost as much as the GN. We're gonna race each other once he fixes the syncro(or something like that) in the tranny. We think it'll be reasonably close, but i'm not gonna tell him about the ATR dp/test pipe/and 160 thermo i'll be putting in beforehand.:cool: Hee Hee Hee. But they are freaking quick cars.

The Talon was still moving and crossed the double yellow to pass us. As he did, he gave us the finger.

It always seems to end with the finger. What a bunch of wimps. It would be so nice to be an expert marksman and shoot that finger off; it's rude, plain and simple. Begging for a race, and then here comes the finger. I need to keep a camera in the car and get a picture of some kid with the finger flying, send it in to be printed on the front page of the newspaper, along with the license plate number. I bet the parents would be proud of that.

Heh, that was great. Nothing quite like letting the fishy have some line... and then reeling it in.

Teach that boy how to drive! And powershift!

Good kill... and well written (thank God),

I'm happy to say that my son is now shifting better. In fact, his 3-4 shift is so fast that I would be hard pressed to duplicate it. I'll have to go out at night and practice now...dangit!

I wonder if you guys.......

......have seen that video of the two punks in the 13 second AWD Talon, get there arse smoked by that guy with the Doug Rippie and Lingenfelter packaged Vette?

I actually think I got it off this board.

They launch like an MF'er but no chance up top :D

68Mustang, wish you were my dad ;)

That Charger sounds like a beast. I love old mopar. Cousin has a '70 Charger R/T 440, Hurst pistol grip 4 spd. all original...........

I'd like to have your collection........but pop in a Chevelle or Nova instead of the Mustang, and it'd be set :D ;)

Good kill!

I'm in the market for an LS5 or LS6 Chevelle and maybe a Hemi Mopar. That'd round out my collection.

h**p://www.angelfire.com/cantina/smg/charger2.jpg

Back