Kim Barr Race engines

Slp223

Has anyone ever used Kim Barr Race engines for a turbo 6? He built my last motor for me and I had such a great experience. The price was better then anyone else I talked to. The turn around time was so much faster then anyone else I talked to. I really could not have asked for anything more. But, it was an LT1 V8 and it seems like there are stories of good shop having a hard time with Buick 6s. Thanks for any advice.

http://www.kimbarrracingengines.com/

I've never used him for a Buick but he has a great reputation for higher end machine work around here (one of 3 IMO).

Watt in Lavon is good and can get them set up for you as well. He did a ej257 motor for me and all went very well. I know for a fact he has done some solid Buick 6 work.

For my Buicks I use a guy in Arlington who has always done perfect but I don't think he's taking any new work.

Ask them if they have a deck plate and can align hone the block properly. The short V6 block can be challenging to align hone properly. It takes a dedicated set of stones and shoes in the right mandrel to get the align hone job done right.

If they can handle these two things and keep clearances tight, I'd give them a shot.

Many shops don't feel comfortable with the tight clearances needed in the Buick V6. They try to open up the clearances to the same as what works in a V8 and they you have oiling and bearing issues.

There's a decent chance that my stock short block was done by Kim Barr. Only had Billet mains added.
I bought the engine that way. Checked everything out before I put it in my car and all looked good.

Arlington machine has done many a buick v6 for guys in that area.

Ask them if they have a deck plate and can align hone the block properly. The short V6 block can be challenging to align hone properly. It takes a dedicated set of stones and shoes in the right mandrel to get the align hone job done right.

If they can handle these two things and keep clearances tight, I'd give them a shot.

Many shops don't feel comfortable with the tight clearances needed in the Buick V6. They try to open up the clearances to the same as what works in a V8 and they you have oiling and bearing issues.

X2 .... treat them like a SBC and your done ... on a sad note most of the older shops with experienced machinists are closing down.. its very very hard to find a good machinist now days... I have 1 guy that I use that is backed up for over a year....