You can type here any text you want

KYB's on eBay.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HighMileage

Albany,NY
Hey Gang,

First time poster here.

Was looking at a set of new KYB's (always had good luck with them) for the front of my '87 GN. The seller's ad sez they'll fit all '87 Regals except the GN.

What would the difference be?

Thanks.

btw..Can someone tell me where the Introductions forum is? I can't find it.

Steve from Upstate NY. '87 GN. ..and 8 1/2 out of 10. Mostly stock.

They are the same . what does he want for them? you can go right to kyb and get them for for like 34.00 each with free shipping. welcome aboard. If money is not an option get the bilstein shocks all the way around. look in the for sale section before you buy new. I bought a set of a member for 175.00 for all four and they look like new. search this out there is alot of posts about shocks.

Not sure of the difference but according to my notes

Shock Part numbers

FRONTS:
KYB #KG4513
Bilsteins # F4B360949H0

REARS:
KYB #KG5548
Bilsteins # F4B460929H0

Most guys here seem to prefer the Bilstein's, but they are more $$$

Thanks for the replies.

By the time I bought them from the eBay seller,compared to buying them straight from KYB,it's basically a wash if there is free shipping from the company itself. So,I'll just get them from KYB. I'll call them tomorrow.

As far as the Bilsteins,money isn't an issue..but it is. I've had 100% good luck with KYB's on my 4 other GM cars even tho the roads are horrible up here in upstate NY.

I've got many other questions since I just bought this car last week. I'll be sure to search the archives.

Thanks for the welcome,and again for the replies.

Steve from Upstate NY. '87 GN. ..an 8 1/2 out of 10. Mostly stock.

Thanks for the replies.

By the time I bought them from the eBay seller,compared to buying them straight from KYB,it's basically a wash if there is free shipping from the company itself. So,I'll just get them from KYB. I'll call them tomorrow.

As far as the Bilsteins,money isn't an issue..but it is. I've had 100% good luck with KYB's on my 4 other GM cars even tho the roads are horrible up here in upstate NY.

I've got many other questions since I just bought this car last week. I'll be sure to search the archives.

Thanks for the welcome,and again for the replies.

Steve from Upstate NY. '87 GN. ..an 8 1/2 out of 10. Mostly stock.

I may be going a little over the edge being a little 'pushy'. But if you can afford the Bilsteins and want a good ride and handling, get the Bilsteins.

You will be happy that you did.

The difference between Bilsteins and kyb's is night & day. Seriously.

I have several cars with the Bilsteins, one of which that had kyb's. The kyb's weren't on the car that long before being replaced with the Bilsteins.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Hmmm. I guess it would all depend on just how much more $$ the Bilsteins are. If we're talking 2-3x the KYB's,I'm not gonna go for it.

It looks like I'll be comparing prices.

KYB's make you think they are a good handling shock because they are valved so stiff. for the same money, you can get some Monroe Sensatracs that will handle as good but ride better- and come with a lifetime warranty.

I replaced my shocks with some good used KYB's that I bought from a member here. Night and day difference- It rides so much better now!

My old front shocks were some Gabriels and the rears were Monroe Sensatracs.

If I had the spare $$$ I'd get the Bilsteins, but for now my $90 set of used KYB's are doing just fine!

John

I just priced the Bilsteins. They are about $80 more apiece. I'm gonna be cheap on this one and go with the KYB's. I know..I know..

Three of my other GM cars have KYB's. Never a problem. Even with the horrible roads up here. Bent wheels,howling wheel bearings,etc.

Problems I *did* have were a Gabriel FWD strut break internally on a '90 Ciera,and one Monroe Sensa-trac on the back of my '87 Century puke all of it's oil out.

Thanks for the replies!

Steve from Upstate NY '87 GN,T-tops,mostly stock. ..an 8 1/2 out of 10. ?

you mean about $80 per set ? The bilsteins are 61.95 each from summit

You're right.

I went on the Bilstein website. They show a pic of 1 shock. But the price must be for a pair.

The summit site shows a pair but shows a price for them individually.

Looks like I'll be calling Summit tomorrow.

Thanks!

Steve from Upstate,NY. '87 GN. Just got another "Nice car!" from a few people while sitting outside a conv store having a coffee before going to work tonite. These things are cool.

The Bilsteins are ordered. They should be on my doorstep by Sat.

Cost was $132. I asked if there was a shipping cost. The rep said no,but there is an $11 handling cost. Gotta love that shipping/handling b-s.

Steve from Upstate NY. '87 GN. T-tops. Mostly original exc for the stereo,which I don't like.

I called Summit,and ordered them. I only had to wait a minute or so before someone took my order.

It will be nice not to have that front end bobbing up and down like a boat. The rears will stay for now. Some gray made in USA shocks back there.

Go to AZ and get a set for the rear of a Caprice or Impalla of the same year as your Regal. They're 1/2 off on the second shock with mail in rebate.

One of these days I'm gonna sell my Bilsteins. Too stiff for my taste. I also have all new body bushings uppers and lowers. I'm just too lazy to remove them. But if someone wanted to help me I'll make them a good deal- help means me sit back and watch :smile:

I've got to admit.... I have never had shocks so hard to compress. No KYB or any other.

It's a fight to get these things up to the lower control arm to get the 2 bolts in. Once compressed,there must be 100lbs of force causing it to extend.

I got the drivers side on with the help of a scissors jack. The pass side is fighting me big time. Don't get me wrong.. I work in a warehouse where there's lots of heavy lifting. But these shocks are kicking my a**!

What will ride harder? My rigid frame/hardtailed old Harley? ...or the front of this Buick?

Steve from Upstate NY. ...going back in for round 2. '87 GN.

Back