You can type here any text you want

late turbo Porsche killed

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bison

Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Not a total kill because we went from a 65 mph roll and not a stop. I will make this as short as possible.
I noticed him him entering the highway so i slowed down to let him see me and see if i could initiate. At first i though he was not going to play. He got in the left lane and passed me and one other car then proceeded to get into the right lane. So i moved over to the left and matched speeds. At this point there was no one in front of us for at least 800 ft. Perfect for us to run from. I waved him to go and i had my car in 3rd. He did nothing and then he hit it and i hit it. He got about a half a car in front and then i took over and pulled about 2 cars on him then i noticed he must have let off. I tached 3rd to 6100. Not sure how hard he tried or if he actually let off. If i recall those things go mid 110's for a quarter mph. I slowed to about 80mph and then he caught up and gave me the wave. Thats all folks. If you have the performance numbers form one of those please post them. Im curious. I figure my car will go 10.50@ 127+mph. I was running 26 psi boosrt:wink: .

A little 911 TT history.

Sweet kill with an awesome combo.
Not to turn this into a I love 911 Turbos thread, but more to help educate my fellow Turbo Buick brothers and sisters who might encounter one of these beasts on the streets. I do like these cars and give them much kudos.
Here goes.

If it was a '95-'98 up model (993 chassis) it was no slouch. '95 was the first year model for the TT AWD version and had 400hp & 400 ft lbs tq. They were low 12 second cars at 113-116 in the hands of a good driver. They also offered a Turbo S version with 450hp.

993 Turbo S
turbos_bw.jpg

'96 993 Turbo
96ttbl01.jpg

The 996 Turbo came with 420hp and would typically run 0-60 in 4.3 to 4.2 seconds. 1/4 mile times of 12.30 to 12.10s at 112-116 were common. They were slightly heavier than the earlier 993 model. There was an upgrade model called the X50 package that would boost power to 450hp & 457tq and would typically run 0-60 in the 3.9 to 3.7 second range and run very low 12's high 11's at 115-117. Very stout.
Here's a compilation on the regular 996 Turbo.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9uo1sEm6Qg&mode=related&search=[/YOUTUBE]

996 Turbo
996t_frontside.jpg

996 Turbo X50
800px-2004_Porsche_996X50.jpg

The 997 is the monster you gotta have a killer combo to be competitive against as they have 480hp & 457tq. It also has an override feature that will allow for brief periods of higher boost. About 10 seconds worth, which is good for 505ft lbs tq. With Variable Turbine Geometry turbos running about 17.4psi.
Motor Trend claims a best 0-60 time of 3.2 seconds, and I have read reports of mid to high 11 second 1/4 mile times at 117-119.

VTG turbine pic

4252006144714.jpg

997 Turbo
porsche_997_turbo_side.jpg

The new 997 GT2 version is rated even higher at 525 but is rwd and should be slightly slower to 60.

The 998 is expected to come out in '09 and have a new 3.8L H8 setup. No specs have been given on the Turbo version. To really pwn one of these cars, you better have at least a mid 11 second capable car on the street. This would mean 11 flat to mid 10 second capability at the track. And yes, there are upgrades available for all the year models, so you really don't know what you're messing with until you try. If money is endless, there are 10 second 911TTs roaming the streets.
Be on the look out.
Good kill bison.

Patrick

Not a total kill because we went from a 65 mph roll and not a stop. I will make this as short as possible.
I noticed him him entering the highway so i slowed down to let him see me and see if i could initiate. At first i though he was not going to play. He got in the left lane and passed me and one other car then proceeded to get into the right lane. So i moved over to the left and matched speeds. At this point there was no one in front of us for at least 800 ft. Perfect for us to run from. I waved him to go and i had my car in 3rd. He did nothing and then he hit it and i hit it. He got about a half a car in front and then i took over and pulled about 2 cars on him then i noticed he must have let off. I tached 3rd to 6100. Not sure how hard he tried or if he actually let off. If i recall those things go mid 110's for a quarter mph. I slowed to about 80mph and then he caught up and gave me the wave. Thats all folks. If you have the performance numbers form one of those please post them. Im curious. I figure my car will go 10.50@ 127+mph. I was running 26 psi boosrt:wink: .

he won't have no chance againts you from standstill but he will eat your car on top end i drove an 04 TT last week.

he won't have no chance againts you from standstill but he will eat your car on top end i drove an 04 TT last week.

I wouldnt race beyond 3rd any way. I would be bus lengths ahead from a standstill and i would have continued to pull away well into the high 130mph range. After that the coefficient of drag and 33% OD would put him in at great advantage to start gaining back what he lost up to 130mph. This was not a Turbo S. Ive seen a few of those around and i think they actually say "Turbo S" right on the back. This one only said Turbo. It appeared to be a 115mph car in the quarter from the performance observed based on other cars ive raced that ran those mph's.

After looking closely at the pics it looked like the 996 X50 style. I think it even had the same rims as in the pic. The performance numbers posted for it correlate with what i obsrved also. It was definitely the more pointed nose style and not the earlier design. It would be nasty on a road race course with its handing and braking abilities coupled to the 6 speed.

impressive... most impressive. killing a turbo beast like that from a high roll = priceless!

Back